Solving 'Mantle too close'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd go to a sheetmetal shop and have them cut it.
Ditto. I also have access to a 10 ft. flashing brake that can do lightweight aluminum, but I had a local sheetmetal shop make my mantel shields out of steel, something around 14 gauge. That ain't portable brake territory.

I went to a shop we use a lot for work, and they were so cheap and simple for them, the guy refused to even charge me for them.

I went to Alro Steel and got two pieces of 22 ga. stainless steel - each 13" x 53" - now I need to make a shield. The picture below is a mock-up of where my wood stove will sit - with the microwave cart as a stand-in for the stove.

Attachments

• Shield Mock-Up.jpg
    Shield Mock-Up.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 90
These pics are to show where I could put the shield, but I'm not sure how wide it needs to be? Or how far it needs to protrude from the wall? The mantle is only 7" deep.Shield #1.jpg Shield #2.jpg Shield #3.jpg

Do I need something on the sides? Can I only go as wide as the opening to the chimney? Or will heat go "sideways" if you will, toward the mantle supports?

Counting on you guys to help me out.

Thanks!

Unoxidized aluminum will reflect more infrared than stainless steel and is probably slightly better for the application. For preventing convective heat transfer, I don’t see why either would be better or worse.

If you paint it it shouldn’t matter then.

As for width, I’m not sure but I would be concerned about the corbels. During your first few burns I’d take an IR gun to various parts of the mantel including the corbels and see how hot they get.

https://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Pyrolysis_Definition.php

I am planning on replacing my mantel with a non-combustible one like some others here have suggested. I think it’s likely the best solution for you.

What I’m considering: http://magrahearth.com/products

I’m not experienced like most here, but I do have an engineering background and try to chime in when it may be helpful.

Okay, so it sounds as though i really need to be sure as little heat as possible is making its way vertical toward any of the mantle.

Looking at the pic below, how about if I put "legs" on that piece being held that go all way to the hearth stone (floor) the stove is sitting on. I'm thinking I could angle them out a bit so as not to "box in" the stove too much, but still direct the heat in a way that keeps it from going straight to the mantle from the stove.

AND, I will get an IR gun to keep an eye on things.

Good plan or no?

Thanks
Shield #2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: