Some artwork from a stock certificate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Brown Company used to own a big part of Northern NH and northwestern Maine (basically the watershed of the Androscoggin and Magalloway) along with blocks in NE vermont and the Mahoosucs, you could tell what their business was by the art work on their stock certificate

I ended up with a pile of their canceled certificates when we were cleaning out some records.

Attachments

• brownco.jpg
    brownco.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 474
That's funny. He's wearing the same outfit that I do when cutting wood.

Flatbedford said:

Okay, someone had to say it ;) : Do you cut alone or do you allow others to watch?

I will now retreat to a corner and bang my head against the wall 10 times for saying that. :zip: :zip: :zip:

Shari

Shari said:
Flatbedford said:

Okay, someone had to say it ;) : Do you cut alone or do you allow others to watch?

I will now retreat to a corner and bang my head against the wall 10 times for saying that. :zip: :zip: :zip:

Shari

I cut alone.

Flatbedford said:
Shari said:
Flatbedford said:

Shari

I cut alone.

but he does nothing to deter others from watching. seriously man, when people honk at you, its not cuz they want you to stop cutting and wave <covers eyes while driving by>.

It is a free country. I can wear what ever I want!

Flatbed,

I sure hope you understood my comments were not derogatory in any way.

To the OP: Actually you will find symbolism to the woodcutting trade in many areas of history. For instance, many members of Modern Woodmen of America have elaborate tombstones shaped in the image of a tree. Example: http://www.interment.net/column/feature/jimd/index.htm

Shari

That little cloak gives new meaning to PPE. :)

Just looks like the mental image cost cutting CEOs have of themselves.

incredibly detailed when you enlarge...thanks for posting it. Hope you don't mind but I saved the image.

Feel free to do what you will with it. Brown Company is long gone and subsequent owners have gone bankrupt twice so I dont think there is any enforceable copyright.

American Bank Note made a lot of stock certificates over the years and most of the older ones I have seen have great artwork, plus they are made with cotton fibers instead of wood fibers so they last a long time. I think they use the same printing method as the Bureau of Printing and engraving for bills, you can actually feel the raised ink on the notes.

My former employer ( a Brown COmpnay successor) has a room full of these canceled stock certificates and bonds, most of the went in dumpster, but I did grab a few.

It is a nice little piece of history. It is notable how making stuff look nice has become much less a priority over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.