Some big trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way it was explained to me is that the redwoods have no resins to burn and that is why a fire goes out quickly in them. Amazing even that after a fire it does not seem to harm them; they just keep on growing.

wxman, these pictures were taken in Redwoods National Park near the little town of Orick. We had stayed at Arcata, drove up there one day and back to Arcata. Another thing we saw were some terrific elk. These are Roosevelt elk which are a little smaller than the Rocky Mountain elk, but the bulls we saw had some very nice racks! Here is one picture.

100_0625.gif

Nice pictures Dennis,I believe that the Roosevelt Elk is also the breed that we have here in Michigan that was planted a few years back.

Awesome pics Savage thanks. Hard to believe our forefathers cut them with hand tools.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is also amazing to think how they must have handled these things a long time ago before they had the tools we have today. Especially how were they able to roll them once at the mill when they started taking the slabs off? I have not studied the old methods much but it might be interesting to see some old pictures of them doing that. If anyone has some pictures or links to show them cutting one into lumber, please post.

Dennis, if you ever come to the Adirondacks in New York (the most beautiful place on Earth), you should check out the logging exhibit at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake.

We never had trees like giant redwoods in the Adirondacks, but we had some pretty impressive white pine back in the day. Cutting was done with axes and saws, but the real trick was getting them to the river. From there, the river provided all the power, from transportation, to moving carriages, to actually sawing powered by waterwheels. In the woods, I think they rolled the big ones with rope passed underneath and then looped over the top, coupled with a lot of guys. Or was that the Egyptians rolling blocks of stone on logs? :shut: Anyway, I've seen pictures of the technique.

If there were no suitable rivers, they didn't cut. Much of the western ADKs never got logged because there were no large rivers to transport the logs out with. Because of this, the western ADKs remained the home to one of the largest old growth stands of timber in the eastern US. Then Nature came along and logged it all on July 15, 1995 when a big microburst storm came through and flattened about half a million acres in about 15 minutes.

Nice pics, and welcome back. ;-)

Hey guys

I found this post quite interesting! Congrats on the anniversary Dennis, you are breaking records! I think the average marriage nowadays is 11 years or something like that.

I don't mean to HIJACK Dennis' thread but I just wanted to add this picture. It was taken while I was in Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, BC.

By any chance, is that where you took your pictures Dennis? Did you come up to Canada for a few days?

The camper in the picture was a 40 foot motorhome. It puts the height of the trees in perspective. That would be enough wood to heat 10 homes for a lifetime! Some of them are over 2000 years old...

Andrew

Attachments

• DSCF0038 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0038 (Medium).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 235
Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:
It is also amazing to think how they must have handled these things a long time ago before they had the tools we have today. Especially how were they able to roll them once at the mill when they started taking the slabs off? I have not studied the old methods much but it might be interesting to see some old pictures of them doing that. If anyone has some pictures or links to show them cutting one into lumber, please post.

Dennis, if you ever come to the Adirondacks in New York (the most beautiful place on Earth), you should check out the logging exhibit at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake.

We never had trees like giant redwoods in the Adirondacks, but we had some pretty impressive white pine back in the day. Cutting was done with axes and saws, but the real trick was getting them to the river. From there, the river provided all the power, from transportation, to moving carriages, to actually sawing powered by waterwheels. In the woods, I think they rolled the big ones with rope passed underneath and then looped over the top, coupled with a lot of guys. Or was that the Egyptians rolling blocks of stone on logs? :shut: Anyway, I've seen pictures of the technique.

If there were no suitable rivers, they didn't cut. Much of the western ADKs never got logged because there were no large rivers to transport the logs out with. Because of this, the western ADKs remained the home to one of the largest old growth stands of timber in the eastern US. Then Nature came along and logged it all on July 15, 1995 when a big microburst storm came through and flattened about half a million acres in about 15 minutes.

Nice pics, and welcome back. ;-)

Thanks Battenkiller.

We very well might be heading through the Adirondacks in September and that sounds like an interesting place. It appears parts of NY and MI were and are very much alike. In Michigan we have a State Park called Hartwick Pines and is located just a short distance from Grayling.

You are very correct with the moving of the logs. In fact, in my logging days we loaded a lot of trucks using rope. I don't know of anyone who uses that method any more. As for skidding, much of that was done in both rivers and on snow. Some areas they would just cut and stack the logs until the ice went out.

That storm must have been a terrific storm to do that much damage. Fortunately they will grow back. Unfortunately, it will take much time.

Swedishchef said:
Hey guys

I found this post quite interesting! Congrats on the anniversary Dennis, you are breaking records! I think the average marriage nowadays is 11 years or something like that.

I don't mean to HIJACK Dennis' thread but I just wanted to add this picture. It was taken while I was in Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, BC.

By any chance, is that where you took your pictures Dennis? Did you come up to Canada for a few days?

The camper in the picture was a 40 foot motorhome. It puts the height of the trees in perspective. That would be enough wood to heat 10 homes for a lifetime! Some of them are over 2000 years old...

Andrew

Swedishchief, I do not take this at all as highjacking the thread and I thank you for posting.

Although I always enjoy being in Canada, we weren't even close this year except when I was home. It isn't too far to Canada from home. Heading to Canada on this trip would have been just too much because of the time and mileage. After travelling almost 13,000 miles in a little over a month I am about traveled out for now. However, we very well might take another trip in September as we are going to try to make it to Woodstock's BBQ which was scheduled for August but moved to September. The work should be letting up a bit then so we can afford the time and I hope so as I'd really like to visit the factory and meet some of the nice people there.

The picture you posted I could swear we were there! It looks exactly like a place where we stopped in California! Amazing. Where in Canada was that picture taken? Also, the motorhome pictured looks just like the one we used in RAAM.

Dennis,

Those pictures were taken on Vancouver Island (big island beside Vancouver). They have a tropical/rainforest type cliamte on the Island. Some of the best surfing in the world takes place there (in Tofino).

Here's a link to the provincial park in which Cathedral Grove is located: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/macmillan/

Here's a link for Tofino; it's an amazing place.

While living in Western Canada, I took the time and drove down to Southern California. On the way back up, we took the PCH and went through the same places as you (in Northern California and southern Oregon where the redwoods are located).

See the attached picture of a beast of a tree.

Andrew

Attachments

• DSCF0042 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0042 (Medium).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 214
nice pics dennis, even bigger than Hartwick Pines, lol. Is that out in Cal.

It is in CA Andy. We stayed at Arcata (just north of Eureka) and drove up to the Redwoods from there. There are lots of redwood parks in that area, both national and state.

Would you split those horizontally or vertically?

All splitting should be done vertically! I just am not sure how to stand the logs up after cutting. As far as that goes, I don't even have anything to use to cut one of them things.

One thing for sure even an 880 with 60in. bar one of those tree is going to be a tough couple three days work. (If bucking into firewood)

Those are great pics Dennis. We're flying out for my sister's wedding in Portland, OR in August. I want to try to drive down to Northern CA to let my boys (9 and 5) see some redwoods. I saw some as a youngster and that kind of awe inspiring nature stays with you for life.

You should enjoy that trip and like you, your sons will remember them for the rest of their lives. Look on a map and you will see there are several areas set aside to preserve these big trees.

Georgiadave said:
Logger left the very large trees because they could not handle them. They cut everything they could skid, and left the big guys, which is why we still have them.

Wish I lived closer. I really like being in the 30-65 inch range and could go bigger just never seen anything any bigger.

Jeff S said:
Nice pictures Dennis,I believe that the Roosevelt Elk is also the breed that we have here in Michigan that was planted a few years back.

Jeff, I was almost 100% sure Michigan does not have Roosevelt Elk. I posted on another forum asking and got this response which is what I feel is correct.

"The present Michigan herd was started in 1918 in Cheboygan county with the release of just seven Rocky Mountain Elk."

Dennis finally got around to cutting up one of the big trees he brought back. But then he got distracted when he had to go get a chisel to rescue his wedges. Before you know it, he's gotten out of wood burning and has become a wood carver. Who would have guessed? ;-)

StairsRedwood02.jpg

StairsRedwood01.jpg

Cluttermagnet said:
Dennis finally got around to cutting up one of the big trees he brought back. But then he got distracted when he had to go get a chisel to rescue his wedges. Before you know it, he's gotten out of wood burning and has become a wood carver. Who would have guessed? ;-)

StairsRedwood02.jpg

StairsRedwood01.jpg

Clutter, Where is this?

Yes, that is very nice.

Checking with my buddy who originally emailed me the photos. Will let you know if I can find out.

BTW it looks like the stairs are in a private residence, so the best possible info available may be town and state. Unless they give tours?

They obviously must have craned it in during construction. Looks like it's holding up part of the house- it's structural as well as decorative.

Backpack09 said:
I see a rack of shoes behind it... It must be a mall somewhere.
Your eye is better than mine, and I agree- looks like a mall.

I came up empty handed. My friend simply passed an email along. Searching Google, I was only able to get the search results down to 1.25 million hits, playing with search terms. I'm kind of stuck for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.