Some big trunk wood 3+year felled but still wet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
So I went with my new ms310 with the 20" bar and tried the biggest trunk I could find. I didn't measure it, but here's a picture of the rounds that are 18" long. I'm assuming this is white oak because it's not rotted very much at all like Red Oak does. I love cutting seasoned wood though. SOOOOOO much better than green! Next is a picture of the load after splitting.... still have 1 more round to go (4 total). Then my next project....

Attachments

• wood-rounds.jpg
    wood-rounds.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 418
  • wood-in-truck.jpg
    wood-in-truck.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 408
  • wood-next.jpg
    wood-next.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 423
Nice !

It is amazing how much wood you can get from those big old chunks like that.

Since I'm splitting by hand, I'm glad it's straight grain and easy splitting since it's already seasoned out. I splintered the handle on my maul today because the round broke open near the middle, but snapped part of the handle. It's nice swinging the lighter maul instead of the mega maul. I've probably got 7 or 8 of these trunk pieces to go through. All the wood was pushed out of the pasture and to the wood line and there was a whole lot of good 12-20" limbs that are rotted and hidden once they did that. These trunks are hard to hide or cover though. I've got a 14' sling that I put around them and then tow them out with my 4X4 'tree' truck (pictured). Only thing is I have to leave the hazards on so I can find the thing once I get out! ;-)

Nice rounds there, but my experience is the exact opposite of yours.

Fresh wood cuts MUCH easier, and especially splits MUCH easier for me. On white oak it's the rule for me, as any cross grain gets much harder when it seasons/dries.

Status
Not open for further replies.