Some BTU's for 2010-1011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
My buddy down the street came over this morning with the 460.
Broke out the felling wedges and laid both trees down in between my wood stack up back.
A dead standing Cherry and a decent sized Ash. More than enough wood now for 2010-2011.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• DSC_8578.jpg
    DSC_8578.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC_8580.jpg
    DSC_8580.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 539
WOODBUTCHER said:
A dead standing Cherry and a decent sized Ash. More than enough wood now for 2010-2011.
Really? From just two trees?

LLigetfa said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
Really? From just two trees?

Nah.....Those 2 trees just top off my supply for next year. I've been scrounging stuff since August....... just over 3 cords now. I'll have close to 1 cord left over from this season.
Not too shabby.

WB

Looks like a very good tree feller..

smokinjay said:

Hmm.. That feller is quite the feller?

Agreed in any case - confident enough at a minimum. Either that or he doesn't mind re-stacking wood if he misses the mark.

Slow1 said:
smokinjay said:

Hmm.. That feller is quite the feller?

Agreed in any case - confident enough at a minimum. Either that or he doesn't mind re-stacking wood if he misses the mark.

I would take a shot at it..Got one to do this weekend very large silver maple between two house's dont think I could rebuild them..so I will be taking the extra time to make each cut perfect.

I'd take a shot at it too but would try to do it without the wedges just to make it more fun. I did that yesterday, that is, I fell a tree so it was right along side of the trailer. Then after I cut the wood I didn't have to carry it to the trailer as it was right there. Handy.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'd take a shot at it too but would try to do it without the wedges just to make it more fun. I did that yesterday, that is, I fell a tree so it was right along side of the trailer. Then after I cut the wood I didn't have to carry it to the trailer as it was right there. Handy.

I don't even know how to drop a tree without wedges its just part of what I do. Last year I had one hit the garage door (large silver maple) knew before droping it that would be worst case so we open the door sure enough that's where it spun off the stump no damage but was cutting inside the garage for awhile...lol now we even rope everything just to have another layer of protection.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I don't even know how to drop a tree without wedges its just part of what I do. Last year I had one hit the garage door (large silver maple) knew before droping it that would be worst case so we open the door sure enough that's where it spun off the stump no damage but was cutting inside the garage for awhile...lol now we even rope everything just to have another layer of protection.

See my picture, those trees needed wedges no doubt. The Cherry had a small dead limb tucked behind the ash, wasn't enough lift in the wedges to break it loose.
Went to plan "B" (the ASH ) and felled both at the same time, wish I video taped it. That Goddam cherry was so rotted at the top, we couldn't believe that sad-ass'd limb was holding on.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• felling.jpg
    felling.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 231
WOODBUTCHER said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

See my picture, those trees needed wedges no doubt. The Cherry had a small dead limb tucked behind the ash, wasn't enough lift in the wedges to break it loose.
Went to plan "B" (the ASH ) and felled both at the same time, wish I video taped it. That Goddam cherry was so rotted at the top, we couldn't believe that sad-ass'd limb was holding on.

WoodButcher

no dought about it thats 2 very nice drops and the butt of that one I can see is perfect.

Jay, I don't remember the last time I used wedges! It is a very rare thing for me to use one.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I don't remember the last time I used wedges! It is a very rare thing for me to use one.

I have a feeling that what your cutting is in the woods and not real big.What I get most of the time is tree over 50+in. and have to cut from two sides with a 460 and a 28in. bar you need wedge just to keep the saw from pinching and just fill much safer with wedges and a bull rope in place putting good pressure to help force it into the face cut. Man I get very jumpy and want to get my saw out of there before you hear it fall. Might do a video of this one coming up it leans a little and pretty close to a house we have already taken 9 out of this place like domino's.

Status
Not open for further replies.