Some clarification on clearance needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatrabbit

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Cazenovia , NY
I just installed a jotul 600 and am unsure of clearance. Is it the distance to combustibles or the distance to shielded surface on the wall that is used. I have an air gap then durock with stone veneer. Current distance is 9" to the stone and 12" to the wall behind. Is this sufficent with no heatshield ?
thanks for any advice.

There are several variables that affect clearance. Is this a corner or straight wall installation? Does the stove have a rear heatshield? Is this single-wall, single-wall shielded, or double-wall connector pipe?

The stove is paralell to a straight wall. No rear heatshield. Single wall pipe. The entire wall section behind pipe is durock, with 12'' clearnce to combustibles around thimble. If needed I could change to double wall pipe.

It sounds like you are correctly installed to the minimum. 12" is the minimum clearance to combustibles with a wall shield, but no stove shield and with single-wall pipe. There's no harm in increasing protection by adding a rear heatshield, or double-wall pipe. Switching to double-wall might have an advantage because it will keep the flue gases hotter. Is this a one or two story installation? Does the stove pipe go straight up inside the house and out the roof? Or does it do a right angle turn and head outdoors to a tee and then up?

thanks begreen.
We have a two story 1873 farm house (poorly insulated but were working on it) pipe is at a 45 degree angle for 28 inches and exits thru the wall in to a masonry thimble and chimney with about a 25 ' run. I think I will install the double wall pipe. Do they have a flexible elbow in double wall? If not the angle and distance could make for a tricky install. Stove is burning well so far. Pipe temp stays around 350 or so when I have secondary burn. Speaking of which is the stove top temp or pipe temp more important ?

No flex elbows in double-wall, they are fixed angle only. However, there are telescoping sections of double-wall that make the fitting between 45 elbows a lot easier to manage.

I would say the stove top temp is probably more important, though being a stove geek I like having both.

Status
Not open for further replies.