Some Concern, Please Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2008
CNY
We had our Lopi Liberty installed professionally October 2008. We have the pipe approx up 6 1/2 feet and then cuts into the existing flue of a 120 year old coal burning fireplace. The flue is lined with a stainless liner. It was cleaned at the beginning of the burning season and we run the stove 24/7 using mainly maple and now burning ash averaging 500 degree temps.. (The fireplace flue was cleaned at the time of install) What is of concern is, I have noticed what seems to be black creosote in the bottom of the existing fireplace.!!!!!! I vacuumed it up last week and sure enough, more is there now. Not much, but enough to notice and wonder where in the heck is it coming from. It has been windy out and the pipe is on the west side of the house which gets the most weather. Could the wind be knocking the pipe at the top and loosening creosote that is at the top of the pipe and making in fall down the flue? I can't imaging a problem with the seams in the actually stove pipe. Has anyone experienced this or knows where it could be from?

tryin.not.to.burn.the.house.down said:
We had our Lopi Liberty installed professionally October 2008. We have the pipe approx up 6 1/2 feet and then cuts into the existing flue of a 120 year old coal burning fireplace. The flue is lined with a stainless liner. It was cleaned at the beginning of the burning season and we run the stove 24/7 using mainly maple and now burning ash averaging 500 degree temps.. (The fireplace flue was cleaned at the time of install) What is of concern is, I have noticed what seems to be black creosote in the bottom of the existing fireplace.!!!!!! I vacuumed it up last week and sure enough, more is there now. Not much, but enough to notice and wonder where in the heck is it coming from. It has been windy out and the pipe is on the west side of the house which gets the most weather. Could the wind be knocking the pipe at the top and loosening creosote that is at the top of the pipe and making in fall down the flue? I can't imaging a problem with the seams in the actually stove pipe. Has anyone experienced this or knows where it could be from?

I take it you don't have a block off plate?

Was the chimney swept before the liner was installed? Could be the left over creosote is drying out and falling down between the old liner and new. Could be dangerous situation if is enough to catch fire from the heat of new liner. Is new liner insulated? The new liner should be secured at the top and not be able to move around.

BrowningBAR said:
I take it you don't have a block off plate?
I'm sorry to play the ignorant card, but not sure. I looked at the invoice, just lists 25ft Ventinox oval wrapped liner with 6 in round Ventinox cap and top plate and oval tee with 6 in take off.
Hubbie at work.

Todd said:
Was the chimney swept before the liner was installed? Could be the left over creosote is drying out and falling down between the old liner and new. Could be dangerous situation if is enough to catch fire from the heat of new liner. Is new liner insulated? The new liner should be secured at the top and not be able to move around.
Yes, cleaned before install.
Believe liner is insulated. I haven't heard any movement with wind, hard to say though.

If it's an old unlined chimney, then there would be lots of nooks and crannies some soot to hide in, and I'd say they are just falling out now as a result of running the new stove.

By the sounds of it you don't have a block off plate. As such, you should be able to take a flashlight and look up there and get a bit of a visual to see what is going on.

If all looks good (isn't obviously caked full off creosote on each side) then I'd not worry and think about installing a block off plate.

pen

Ventinox makes a product called Ventinox HiFlex, which sounds similar to what you have. Based on its description it sounds like a well made and dependable product I would doubt is leaking in any way.

I agree this could simply be drying creosote and soot buildup in the old chimney flaking off and dropping down. Also, the new liner could be lightly scrubbing the chimney sides where it is in contact, as it expands and contracts. Old chimneys were not perfectly straight and sometimes their ties moved, so I suspect that new liner meanders slightly up the old chimney a bit. Any ideas how big the liner is, and how big the old chimeny is? Is there much space around the old liner? Is it floating inside the old chimney or tight against the walls? If the old chimney was not swept before install that would help explain things.

I would doubt, though cannot be sure, the old creosote is heating or igniting and burning off, if the top place was installed relatively tight. Without a draft you'd likely be smelling smoke.

Grab a flashlight and see what you can see, and let us know.

If this problem eventually goes away I might opt for a damper to cut down on drafts.

Just my thoughts, and maybe someone can offer a few other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.