Some Flush Hearth Extension Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm now going back to my original thinking and considering a Northstar zero clearance fireplace, http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/480_1081.pdf .

The install manual says the hearth pad needs a 2.18 R value, which its says (subject to check) is equal to 1" of micore, or .5" of "Armstrongâ„¢ Privacy Guard Plus". I'd like to have a flush hearth, like there is now (but which I doubt has the required R value). The floor the extension would abut is 3/4" wood.
There would continue to be a subfloor.

My questions are:

1) What is Armstrongâ„¢ Privacy Guard Plus, and where does one get it?
2) Can one tile right over the Micore? Wouldn't the material be strong enough without putting backer board on top, especially since no one will be walking on it.
3) Can the joists be notched to make up for the thickness? Would 2x4s or plywood have to be sistered?

Thanks for any help.

Not sure about the privacy plus product. It looks like a grid ceiling product. One can not tile right over Micore, It's too soft and fibrous. You will need a proper cement board substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.