some general questions about choosing a stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a smaller (2000sf) house and so a smaller stove, so I don't have much of use to offer regarding the big stoves. But I did want to say that the soapstone stove is serving me well in a downstairs/upstairs application--YMMV, of course. I got mine thinking it would serve as an area heater, and I've been surprised at how even a heat I get through the house in the coldest of days when it's the stove doing it all. I think that circulation of air currents upstairs between rooms is very helpful in this. I have an ashpan, but don't use it. I just take a rubbermaid (easy on the stone) dustpan, and scoop ashes up with that, then stick a retired turkey roaster right into the firebox and dump the ashes in it. That keeps the airborne ash going right up the chimney. Easier done than explained, and quicker than the ashpan--for me.

I primarily chimed in just to give you a thumbs-up on trusting that instinct that says, "Time to get a wood stove in here." I've heard/seen too many stories that go, "I just had that niggling feeling that it was time to do this, and so I did, and then . . . " One of my workmates just yesterday told me about her husband insisting that it was time to do it--so they did, just in time for the great run-up of 2008, and just before stove prices jumped. I got mine up and going in time to pick up the load when my boiler failed this winter.

Wild critters have instincts that tell them that a hard winter is coming, and presses them to prepare for it. I"m not sure we're that different when we feel the need to get ready for the coming snow, or when we take satisfaction in knowing that we have stores aplenty to get us through. I'll be happy to be wrong about this, but it sure looks like this coming winter could be a tough one on a lot of levels.

So just a reminder that while you're looking at stoves, even though you won't know what length to cut it yet, it would be a great time to be starting on a firewood supply. Given the stoves you're looking at, I'd think you can make an educated guess about the length to cut. If you can get this winter's wood cut, split, and seasoning, and then put up another year's supply, you'll be well ahead of most first-year burners. I realize that you're an experienced burner, so you're probably way ahead of my thinking on this, but I didn't see mention of that, so just putting it out there.

Good luck in the decision-making process. I'm completely happy with my Heritage, so I'd tend to lean towards a Hearthstone or Woodstock in offering buying advice, but it sounds like some really good stoves have been covered in this thread. I think by the time you've weighed and measured everything, you'll make the right decision. The most important thing is that you're doing it.

mike in ct said:
i'm getting the impression some stoves have an "ash dump" like a masonary fireplace and you have to push the ashes down the hole first. if so, then yes, that sucks and i could see why you would be against it.
THe harman has a grate with slots in you just use a poker to stir the wood coals and the ash falls down into a large ash bucket, can be done with the stove still burning and the ash door is airtight. Also up to 3000Sf of heating capacity. Ash bucket has a handle you just carry it outside so NO dust. Check out their website.

well last time i burned, i had a different layout. house was only 1600sq ft of living space, up and down with 1 stairwell . i have since added on 1100 sq ft of living space, up and down with an addition stairwell. before if i had downstairs temp at say 80 degrees, upstairs would be 70-72, so pretty nice. now i'll have more sq footage, "but" the other stairwell should distibute the heat fairly even , so even if i go with just a bit bigger stove i think i'll probably be ok.....plus , i just bought a heatgrate/exchanger for the fireplace i built upstairs in addition , and it really seems to help some vs not having it. so i think if i get really cold days i'll just run that if i find the downstairs is falling short. we love burning in the fireplace at night anyway .here's a pic of the fireplace i built.
DSCF0515.jpg

i have been cutting my own wood up to this point, but i found a guy who sells it for $150 a cord delivered as soon as season is over. all oak for most part , so this year i am just going to buy it, have my kids stack it and cover it all season. just getting to be too much to do it all. i'm not a kid anymore. i'll still pick up a truckload here and there when people are giving it away and split it. but not alot.

i'm looking fwd to being warm again in the winter. we've been keeping the tstat at 60-62 degrees most of the time. now i'll be able to walk around in my shorts again ! :O)

Beautiful job. It looks spectacular. About that tilt though... lol.

Unfortunately, as soon as the fire is dying down it is sucking the heat right out of the house.

I agree, two staircases should create a very efficient circulation pattern. I think it only takes a few degrees of temp differential along that circulation path to drive that current, and it's inevitable that you'll have at least that much.

The wood purchase sounds great. I'd stock up with a couple of year's worth at least, and let it get seasoning.

Yes to getting warm again--60-62 sounds pretty chilly!

Beautiful job on fireplace. [tilts head to right]

That rockwork is artistry. Especially like that big one that frames your portrait.

lol, yeah, i'm not much of a photog. i had to stand on the back of couch. i was'nt real stable when shootin pic
that big stone, i had picked out all along, said "yeah, i'll get some help to lay that one." well......did'nt work out that way, had to set it myself. i paid for it the next day

That's some fantastic fireplace there Mike, I'd like to see a close up picture of that rock work. You must be a stone mason by trade.
Not many real stone masons around anymore, nobody wants to pay for the time it takes to work with real rocks, every thing is faux or cut stone now a days, and even with those things people seldom get as straight a corners as you have on that fireplace. Nice job!
How long did it take you to do the face of that fireplace?

I kind of agree with BeGreen though, open masonry fireplace are ok for ambiance, but if you had built that fireplace like that around a nice big insert or an EPA type fireplace then you'd have the beauty and heating efficiency.

mike in ct said:
i found a guy who sells it for $150 a cord delivered as soon as season is over. all oak for most part , so this year i am just going to buy it, have my kids stack it and cover it all season.
Not sure how long you've been lurking, but before I started reading here I figured that one year split and stacked was "seasoned." But as I soon learned, Oak is a different animal. Two years are really needed and three is better, especially for Red Oak (which I have tons of.) You really need dry wood to operate the new stoves easily. I'd suggest having something other than Oak on hand for next season. I'm fortunate to have some White Ash to cut, and I'll split some dead standing Red Oak branches small for next season...and hope for a dry summer. No more semi-dry wood for me. :)

You must get the blaze king ultra. It has to have the longest burns of any stoves. I absolutely love ours that we installed this year. I did not have to even empty the ashes for over 6 weeks of solid alaskan burning (an our temps were well below zero the whole time). Even when it was -45 I could keep it going easily with only loading it once in the morning and once before bed and now that it is warmer I turn the thermostat down and I can go a whole day. I really do recommend this stove to anyone who wants to heat with wood.

You should really take note to whatever stove you choose, that the height clearance from stove top to ceiling is in line. Hate to say it, but I don't think many stoves are going to meet the shorter distance you have.
Love the tall hearths myself. Just keep track of those height clearances.

One overlooked large Cat stove is the Kuma Sequoia
3.6 cf firebox, and looks like you now can get soapstone on top.
http://kumastoves.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=15
http://kumastoves.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=21

you might want to look at the Quad 5700 also big firebox

thanks carbon liberator-yes, mason by trade. dont do much heavy stone work anymore due to back issues. yes , this type of work is very labor intensive. good corners are hard to find with this particular stone. probably pick up 50 or more before i find one i like. not sure on time to build, too much , i know that. probably 200 hours ....did'nt do it all at once so did'nt keep good track of it. and yes, i know better than most, this is not something built for heat vs "atmoshphere" . i just always wanted one. i build them for other people and decided it would be a great focal point in that room. i have the hearth downstairs for a stove. just like the "campfire" feel of it. my attitude always was if i need to i can stick an insert in there at anytime. we make smores in it, whats better than that !

to woody stover - well , your right. older is better in this case. the guy i'm going to get it from is not a processor. he is picking from an area that was logged about 4-5 years back now. it's pretty nice stuff. as far as having 3 seasons worth ageing in my yard, i just dont see that happening. would be nice, but cant afford the space. i jump at any oppertunity to grab deadstand or deadfall whenever the oppertunity arises.

to hot printer - i have read, alot of folks swear by the bk line. only down side i hear is looks, which is'nt a dealbreaker for me. while i dont want a fugly garage stove, where it will be located is a recroom and used mostly by kids. and yes i have safty fence as i call it to surround it. my kids have been around the fireplace so theirs not much "fascinaton" if you will with fire. we have a camp as well so it is respected and not taken for granted.

to hogwildz - yes, i am going to factor in ceiling clearance. i looked up the big seqoia at kuma , and it said 30" to ceiling, and it's 31" tall with the legs, so i dont see it as a huge issue. but your point is well taken and clearances are always a factor for me. a piece of soapstone on top helps to buffer that number slightly. yeah , i just like raised hearths. puts the firebox more at eye level for better viewing , and also creates an inviting seat to sit on if you need to warm up quick.

where abouts in ct stoveguy ?

Preston CT

ahh, down by foxwoods ! we had a camp on gardner lake in oakdale . we just gave it up last fall to get a place closer. lots to do down your way. kinda sleepy up in my neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.