Some good info on burning wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
While this isn't about burning wood in a stove its a good read! I was looking up some info on cooking and smoking wood. I never cared for a propane barbeque grill I always felt I could taste it in the meat. So until last year I was cooking on charcoal. Since last year I have switched over to cooking on wood. And I feel it tastes the best and gives it a nice smoke flavor too.

Wood combustion, technically called pyrolysis, starts to take place in the 500 to 600°F range and requires significant amounts of oxygen. Let's call the combustion point 575°F on average for the sake of discussion. At that temp the wood has absorbed a lot of heat and the water has been driven off as vapor. It is ready to burn.
Primary combustion is the pyrolosis of the wood itself and secondary combustion is the pyrolosis of the gases emitted by the wood at high temps. It is the combustion of gases that produces flames. This pyrolysis of gases also produces most of the heat.

The main minerals in wood include oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, potassium, and carbon. There can also be trace amounts of sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and heavy metals. These minerals can significantly impact the aroma and smoke flavor.
Hardwoods have more minerals than softwoods, but their quantity is significantly influenced by where they are grown and in what soil, probably more than the species according to The Forest Encyclopedia.

Let's say the coals or gas jets on your grill are 1,100°F an the surface of the coal or jets. If the wood surface is wet the wood cannot heat much beyond 212°F, the boiling point, until the water evaporates by turning to steam. The temp sticks there. It is the same principle as boiling potatoes in a pot water. No matter how much heat you apply to the pot, the potatoes cannot rise above 212°F until all the water is gone. Then, when they hit the bottom of the pan, they will get hotter and hotter as the water is driven out of them.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

Billy

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Barbequing on wood is best! Not only do you cook your food it gets smoked too!! Here's the new charcoal grill I got for the farm and using wood in it!!!!!!!!!

396145_3045589473690_1189926480_n.jpg

Billy

Looks like an awesome meal. I love food cooked over wood, I actually bought a wood pellet grill about 6 years ago. Best grill I have ever used. Runs on an auger and fan to fuel the fire much similar to a pellet stove. I always say its easier than propane and tastes better than charcoal. Most people loo at me funny like I said that backwards but I ment it the way I said it. They all agree after they eat food from it. It has an adjustable setting from a low temp smoke around 150 up to around 400. So I can smoke ribs or brisket all day or just fire it up and grill burgers. Makes the bst burgers and steaks you will ever have in my opinion. Also makes an amazing roaster for a smaller pig or smoked turkey.
http://www.traegergrills.com/

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Howdy Tom

I got it from a TSC store. I think it was their brand. Its not really meant for wood and I warped the charcoal tray the first time I used it. And the ash tray doesn't fit tight so it does get too much air for wood. But its a lot better than being bent over a fire trying to flip steaks or burgers. Plus it has a side warming tray that I can put the cooked extras on and not burn them.

Hi Swagler

Thats a nice setup! I haven't seen one of those before.

Billy

I've already eaten and now I'm hungry again, tasty looking burgers there.......... ;)

Thanks to a bbq forum I belong to I've been on that site....I recommend the chinese style ribs....just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.