Some guy tried to scrounge my scrounge....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeP

Mar 15, 2006
Northern NY
Well not a true scrounge on my part as I paid the guy to dump the wood (3+ full cords) from a lot that he was clearing at my place. He nearly got stuck in my backyard with the first load, so I had him dump the other 2 in the front yard. I got almost all of the 2 in the front blocked to 16" and in a pile, only 4-5 12' logs to finish it up. The girlfriend tells me that before she left for work this morning that a guy knocked and said "I see you had a tree taken down and wondering if you would like me to clean up the wood for you" She politely told him it was wood we BOUGHT and there was no need for him to CLEAN it up.

Now I understand it never hurts to ask, but I have all the rounds in a pile, except for the couple lengths I need to cut up, there are 2 large trees in our front yard (red maple and a blue spruce) no stumps anywhere, from where "the trees were taken down", and you can easily see where the guy backed on the lawn and the dents from the logs being dumped. So why would you ask?????? I guess its better than him just loading his truck from the "great score he found on the side of the road" but still????

That guy was either your competition or your future scrounging buddy. Or both.

Well, atleast you know your wood has curb appeal
grinning-smiley-007

If I see a neglected pile and the house doesn't have an obvious chimney, I will leave a note in the mail box. I never feel comfortable knocking on a door. My notes are sometimes responded to. Usually not. But hey if they dont want to talk with me, no harm except to throw the note away.

I did have someone vulture some work last weekend though then come and brag to me about it. I didnt have time for a real haul, so I just stopped by and bucked up the pile. Mostly small rounds about 4 inches. I filled my trunk and went home and left the rest. I came back the next day with a truck and lots of the wood was missing. Oh well, I started loading what was left, mostly the really small pieces. Then a guy walks by with his dog and strikes up a conversation he says "I walk by here every day, saw this stuff bucked up yesterday so I went home and got my truck and filled er up just like you are. It burns really nice" I was dumbfounded, I was just like, "dude, I bucked it up and did all that work and you took it!" He just said, "oh sorry" and walked away. Ugh.

t

No matter how cheap the wood is, if you pay for it is it really a scrounge?

TriTodd said:
"I walk by here every day, saw this stuff bucked up yesterday so I went home and got my truck and filled er up just like you are. It burns really nice" I was dumbfounded, I was just like, "dude, I bucked it up and did all that work and you took it!" He just said, "oh sorry" and walked away. Ugh.

Unless you have it loaded and are on your way home, you should assume it is gone. Don't put any effort into anything you can't immediately load.

Tritodd, I wouldn't exactly call wood dumped on saturday and cut up on sunday a neglected pile on tuesday but...

Solar, since the lot being cleared was 20 miles away, and 3+ cord would have taken me 9+ loads with my truck, plus he wanted it gone over the weekend, and I had to work on saturday. I thought it was worth it to pay him to dump it in my yard for a fee less than I would pay for "regular log length" firewood.

Like I said in the original post not a true scrounge, but I didn't have to load it up, haul it home, and unload it either...

SolarAndWood said:
TriTodd said:
"I walk by here every day, saw this stuff bucked up yesterday so I went home and got my truck and filled er up just like you are. It burns really nice" I was dumbfounded, I was just like, "dude, I bucked it up and did all that work and you took it!" He just said, "oh sorry" and walked away. Ugh.

Unless you have it loaded and are on your way home, you should assume it is gone. Don't put any effort into anything you can't immediately load.

I agree, I have had that happen to me 2 times. No longer. Now I grab the easy stuff and leave the big stuff for last...I used to do it the other way around and lost out too many times. If the guy giving away the wood asks I tell him the story...he/she always respond with a "you are coming back right?"

MikeP said:
Solar, since the lot being cleared was 20 miles away, and 3+ cord would have taken me 9+ loads with my truck

Like I said in the original post not a true scrounge, but I didn't have to load it up, haul it home, and unload it either...

My apologies Mike, your second paragraph caught my attention and I missed your intro.

After 2 twelve packs of Bud, little details like stumps and tire tracks aren't always obvious.

"No thanks" might turn into "have it all" after two more.

At least your girl knew to tell him no. My wife cant say no to anyone... the pile probably would have been gone when I got home...

your wife was really polite when I asked to clean up your yard. I didn't notice tracks or missing stump. I was mesmerized by the nice pile of future firewood.

lol, j/k

I had a good sized (~20" dbh) standing dead locust cut and removed from my front yard while we were at work one day. No note, no call, no knock, nothing...I came home from work and the tree was gone.

kkesler said:
I had a good sized (~20" dbh) standing dead locust cut and removed from my front yard while we were at work one day. No note, no call, no knock, nothing...I came home from work and the tree was gone.
LOL, someone actually came into your yard and chopped it down and took it?!?!? that's nuts.

Danno77 said:
kkesler said:
LOL, someone actually came into your yard and chopped it down and took it?!?!? that's nuts.

Indeed, unbelievably bold I thought. I called the cops and they did a report, but of course nothing ever came of it. People are nuts around here. We have a pond on our property quite close to the house, and we used to have about 10 large catfish in it that the kids liked to feed. One day the fish were gone and all that was left were some bits of hot dog and fishing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.