Some Milled Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1314517209 said:
smokinjay" date="1314502362 said:
Still get some out of that one! ;-)

As I would tell MMAUL Made it 6 thick and 12 wide, That makes a lastin impression! We are mini milling a mantel as-well today I tkink its 4-1/2 by 10. Black walnut.

We have this pine in the woods by the house, from the pith 2 inches both ways will give us the four, just not sure how wide it is.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3608.jpg
    100_3608.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 130
Looks like we pop about 300bf of bw today. Siding in the bank!

smokinjay said:

That is a good day. We lost power here for one hour forty minutes, took a ride down to check the brook with the wife and it seems fine but Monday the brook should be up even more.

Did you take any pictures today?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

That is a good day. We lost power here for one hour forty minutes, took a ride down to check the brook with the wife and it seems fine but Monday the brook should be up even more.

Did you take any pictures today?

zap

No we got 6 3/4- inch x 20 wide black walnut for siding, small white birch, one small bw log and the mantal done.

Nice, how many chains did you go through?

zap

zapny said:

zap

2 and darn sure needed a 3rd..The walnut is over a year old and hard as a rock. Aux-oiler pretty close to wide open the whole time.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

2 and darn sure needed a 3rd..The walnut is over a year old and hard as a rock. Aux-oiler pretty close to wide open the whole time.

Did MMaul pull some time on the trigger?

zap

DiscoInferno said:
zapny said:
DiscoInferno said:
Hemlock is notorious for ring shake like that. I had to cut around a bunch of it for my recent siding project. The good thing is that you don't necessarily lose too much in terms of board feet because the shake is usually quite vertical. I used the scrap for stickers or kindling, nothing wasted.

The hemlock sure has a nice smell to it. Does the hemlock give off that same smell when you burn it?

zap

I guess I have a slightly less favorable opinion of the smell of the wood itself. (I think it smells a bit like crap.) But the pitch pockets in the bark do smell nice and piney. The scraps I burned outside didn't seem to give off a particularly distinctive smell.

100 percent!

Status
Not open for further replies.