1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Some new stacks

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by iskiatomic, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Future BTUs

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Nice looking stacks.
    Those are up near the top of the list of the pertiest stacks I have seen.....do you miter cut all your splits to look like a perfect rectangle? :) Just kiddin...good work.
  3. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Nice! Those look about perfect!
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Why would you not just butt all those rows together to save having to cross-pile all those ends? At my age, I've run out of patience trying to find just the right pieces to make good cross-piles. This year I'm going to redesign my woodshed to not have to make cross-piles.
  5. joshlaugh

joshlaugh New Member

Loc:
    Granville, Ohio
    Nice stacking. After seeing those I will never show mine, I would be too embarrased
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    How do you get such straight splits? Those stacks look plumb and level.
  7. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Well that's some of the highest independently stacked firewood I've ever seen....neat too.
  8. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    those look like really long splits..must be 20"!
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Instead of looking for just the right pieces for the ends, when you split, don't split all triangular pieces. Instead, split lots of square pieces. They make great end pieces and you can also stack them in the stove pretty tight.
  10. Hurricane

Hurricane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NJ
    OK I will bite.
    Backwoods Savage how do you split lots of square splits from a round log? Do you split triangles then take the point off ?
  11. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I get lots of rectangle shaped pieces when I split... agree - they help stacking/stability
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    The process is much easier when using a hydraulic split and rounds bigger than say 12", but it is pretty easy once you have halved the round. Instead of splitting like a pizza, its more of a bread stick cut. The bigger the round, the more "square" splits you can get.

Or...instead of splitting down the middle first, simply split off the edges until you have a square block, then make 'em smaller square blocks. Its actually just as fast as the radial method.
  13. iskiatomic

Loc:
    Central CT
    Thanx for the compliments. The splits are 22 inches, give or take .005.

Piles were not butted to one another as to the ground is not so level. I can get more wind to it this way. There is about 6 inches between rows. Kind of seperated by species, choke cherry and yellow tulip on the left, red and white oak in the center, and maple on the right.

All this makes me thirsty! KC

Attached Files:

14. iskiatomic

Loc:
    Central CT
    A few more pics from the other side of the yard.

Attached Files:

15. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and VT
    Nice work! Love the PBR cans!
  16. mcote

mcote New Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    My piles would not be standing after that many PBRs!! I don't think I would be either!
  17. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    Even your pallets look nice. Great looking stacks.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    It is actually very easy no matter if you split by hand or hydraulic. Here's one example:

[​IMG]

Imagine taking the first 4 splits from the outer edges, which leaves you with a square block. Depending upon the size, that block can make 4 square splits or more, or less. I split a lot of logs this year which yielded what the picture shows so that is why I chose to show that.

(Or you can picture that you are running a sawmill and are going to cut some 4x4's. Naturally, you take the slabs off first and are left with a square block. It is then easy to cut a 4 x 4 or whatever you want to cut.)

I also split many that were quite large so then I first split the log in half. Then, instead of splitting in a pie or triangular shape simply put the flat side next to the splitter and keep sliding it sideways as you split off rectangular pieces. Those can be split again or left rectangular.

It really is easy to split this way and I always did this way before I bought a splitter. I just throw the square or rectangular pieces separately and when stacking, use those for the end pieces. Works like a charm.

I hope this helps.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    btw, I won't guarantee that your stack will look as good as iskiatomic's stacks do, but you can make a good square end with no other support needed.
  20. Hurricane

Hurricane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I guess I always swig to split the log in half, I guess I need to rethink that, I have a load of red oak outside and will try it.

I guess an old dog can learn new tricks :)
  21. rich81

rich81 Member

i hope so. those are CHEP pallets and worth a little bit of money on there own LOL
  22. leftyscott

leftyscott Member

Loc:
    arkansas
    Is there still a $30 bounty paid for CHEP pallet recovery???
  23. iskiatomic

Loc:
    Central CT
    That PBR is working man's beer! When relaxing, I LOVE Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and GOOD Scotch. If I was drinking them the stacks would not be anywhere the same!

As to the CHEP pallets, I can get them all day long. Thirty bucks a piece! Who wants to trade me for some nice hardwoods?

KC
  24. rich81

rich81 Member

i work in a warehouse and they are very particular over the chep, they keep track of how many come in and out. are they $30 i'm not sure although that soundsa about right lol
  25. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I have a few of the CHEP pallets. If they want to try to get them back they can talk to a Federal Judge. The stuff I bought at a bankruptcy auction was on them. Makes CHEP just another unsecured creditor. :cheese:

Personally I hate the damn things. On the ground they rot just as fast as the others and they weigh a ton. Moving them isn't a fun pass time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.