Some new stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Future BTUs

Attachments

• MoreWoodpicsforKen010.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen010.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 980
  • MoreWoodpicsforKen011.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen011.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 978
  • MoreWoodpicsforKen012.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen012.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 942
Nice looking stacks.
Those are up near the top of the list of the pertiest stacks I have seen.....do you miter cut all your splits to look like a perfect rectangle? :) Just kiddin...good work.

Nice! Those look about perfect!

Why would you not just butt all those rows together to save having to cross-pile all those ends? At my age, I've run out of patience trying to find just the right pieces to make good cross-piles. This year I'm going to redesign my woodshed to not have to make cross-piles.

Nice stacking. After seeing those I will never show mine, I would be too embarrased

How do you get such straight splits? Those stacks look plumb and level.

Well that's some of the highest independently stacked firewood I've ever seen....neat too.

those look like really long splits..must be 20"!

LLigetfa said:
Why would you not just butt all those rows together to save having to cross-pile all those ends? At my age, I've run out of patience trying to find just the right pieces to make good cross-piles. This year I'm going to redesign my woodshed to not have to make cross-piles.

Instead of looking for just the right pieces for the ends, when you split, don't split all triangular pieces. Instead, split lots of square pieces. They make great end pieces and you can also stack them in the stove pretty tight.

OK I will bite.
Backwoods Savage how do you split lots of square splits from a round log? Do you split triangles then take the point off ?

I get lots of rectangle shaped pieces when I split... agree - they help stacking/stability

Hurricane said:
OK I will bite.
Backwoods Savage how do you split lots of square splits from a round log? Do you split triangles then take the point off ?

The process is much easier when using a hydraulic split and rounds bigger than say 12", but it is pretty easy once you have halved the round. Instead of splitting like a pizza, its more of a bread stick cut. The bigger the round, the more "square" splits you can get.

Or...instead of splitting down the middle first, simply split off the edges until you have a square block, then make 'em smaller square blocks. Its actually just as fast as the radial method.

Thanx for the compliments. The splits are 22 inches, give or take .005.

Piles were not butted to one another as to the ground is not so level. I can get more wind to it this way. There is about 6 inches between rows. Kind of seperated by species, choke cherry and yellow tulip on the left, red and white oak in the center, and maple on the right.

All this makes me thirsty! KC

Attachments

• MoreWoodpicsforKen006.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen006.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 649
  • MoreWoodpicsforKen010.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen010.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 628
  • MoreWoodpicsforKen013.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen013.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 697
A few more pics from the other side of the yard.

Attachments

• MoreWoodpicsforKen016.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen016.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 642
  • MoreWoodpicsforKen017.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen017.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 635
  • MoreWoodpicsforKen018.jpg
    MoreWoodpicsforKen018.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 647
My piles would not be standing after that many PBRs!! I don't think I would be either!

Even your pallets look nice. Great looking stacks.

Hurricane said:
OK I will bite.

It is actually very easy no matter if you split by hand or hydraulic. Here's one example:

Woodsplit.gif

Imagine taking the first 4 splits from the outer edges, which leaves you with a square block. Depending upon the size, that block can make 4 square splits or more, or less. I split a lot of logs this year which yielded what the picture shows so that is why I chose to show that.

(Or you can picture that you are running a sawmill and are going to cut some 4x4's. Naturally, you take the slabs off first and are left with a square block. It is then easy to cut a 4 x 4 or whatever you want to cut.)

I also split many that were quite large so then I first split the log in half. Then, instead of splitting in a pie or triangular shape simply put the flat side next to the splitter and keep sliding it sideways as you split off rectangular pieces. Those can be split again or left rectangular.

It really is easy to split this way and I always did this way before I bought a splitter. I just throw the square or rectangular pieces separately and when stacking, use those for the end pieces. Works like a charm.

I hope this helps.

btw, I won't guarantee that your stack will look as good as iskiatomic's stacks do, but you can make a good square end with no other support needed.

I guess I always swig to split the log in half, I guess I need to rethink that, I have a load of red oak outside and will try it.

I guess an old dog can learn new tricks :)

rich81 said:
northwinds said:

i hope so. those are CHEP pallets and worth a little bit of money on there own LOL

Is there still a $30 bounty paid for CHEP pallet recovery???

Nice work! Love the PBR cans!

i hope so. those are CHEP pallets and worth a little bit of money on there own LOL

That PBR is working man's beer! When relaxing, I LOVE Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and GOOD Scotch. If I was drinking them the stacks would not be anywhere the same!

As to the CHEP pallets, I can get them all day long. Thirty bucks a piece! Who wants to trade me for some nice hardwoods?

KC

leftyscott said:
rich81 said:
northwinds said:

Is there still a $30 bounty paid for CHEP pallet recovery???

i work in a warehouse and they are very particular over the chep, they keep track of how many come in and out. are they $30 i'm not sure although that soundsa about right lol

I have a few of the CHEP pallets. If they want to try to get them back they can talk to a Federal Judge. The stuff I bought at a bankruptcy auction was on them. Makes CHEP just another unsecured creditor. :cheese:

Personally I hate the damn things. On the ground they rot just as fast as the others and they weigh a ton. Moving them isn't a fun pass time.

Status
Not open for further replies.