Some of Northern Michigans Finest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Here is a cord or so of Northern Red Oak that I cut on Michigan State Land. I bought a 20 dollar permit that allows you to cut 5 cords a year. I think I'd be hard pressed to find 5 cords of downed wood a year but a cord or so isn't too hard to come by. Making a trip north for wood alone wouldn't be worth it but I was up for the week hunting so I brought the trailer along.

I felt like Quads cutting all this downed oak, some of it is ready for the stove now. :)

Here are a couple pictures, I added more after taking the pictures, I'll snap one tomorrow and add that.

Attachments

• PB170043.jpg
    PB170043.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 360
  • PB170044.jpg
    PB170044.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 342
Yea thats the good stuff. I love wood you can just cut and burn.

PapaDave said:
Where did you go, rdust. I've thought of doing that, but not gotten around to it.
Northern Michigan is kinda' vague. :lol:
Oh, nice score!

I cut in Arenac county, they also offer them for Clare, Gladwin, Iosco and Midland. You can find instruction for applying here. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FuelwoodRequestForm_316022_7.pdf

Honestly it was probably more work then it's worth unless you can find the blow downs before the locals get to them. Most of what I found was a pretty far roll with the wheelbarrow! Of course if I wanted pine there was plenty of it close to the roads!

But how did the hunting go?

Backwoods Savage said:
But how did the hunting go?

I shot a typical state land 6 point. :lol:

So there is meat on the table! Congratulations.

Nothing here yet. I've seen six bucks so far but only one that I wanted. But my wife and have been talking and we're not even sure we want to put up meat this year. We still have plenty left and we're both struggling a bit physically, so I'll probably get one if he is a real nice one but perhaps hold off and eat tag soup.

Thanks, rdust. I was just curious, and we can get the permit up here too. Lots of state land, and a DNR office less than a mile from me on M-33.
Congrats on the 6 pointer.

PapaDave said:
Thanks, rdust. I was just curious, and we can get the permit up here too. Lots of state land, and a DNR office less than a mile from me on M-33.

Since you're local I'd say without a doubt it would be worth it. I've also cut in Gladwin in the past with about the same results. If I lived up there I think I could do pretty well over the 3 month period the permit is good for. I could have probably filled the trailer with the stuff I found but I was pretty worn out since most of it was a good distance from the road.

PapaDave said:

Backwoods Savage said:
So there is meat on the table! Congratulations.

Thanks guys! Dennis I e-mailed you a few pictures of it.

Thanks for the pictures rdust.

Fellas, I have to say rdust shot one of the nicest 6 pointers you'll ever see. It is basically an 8 point but he is lacking the brow tines. Nice buck rdust.

Status
Not open for further replies.