Seasoned Oak Posted By Seasoned Oak, Mar 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Key danger ahead words "for a small investment you could make a fortune" WHen you hear these or similar phrases run the other way.
    Doctors, Lawyers ,Accountants. Dont these college educated people(along with everyone else) have any common sense.
    $600 million in one small town.
    A friend of mine tried to get me into one of these things,had his ex wife in,his kids, some of his friends.
    I tried to talk him out of it but he got mad at me. They all lost their shirts.
    Dont let greed take over your sense of reason.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/03/30/authorities-600m-scheme-incubated-nc-town/2037975/

2. bubbasdad

bubbasdad
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Howell, Michigan.
    A local guy just got convicted on a ponzi scheme. He was guaranteeing 12% interest. Some folks turned their entire life savings over to him. He bought Ferraris. Maseratis, BMW's, took expensive vacations, and was building a 12K sq foot house on a lake near here. Recovery will be only pennies on the dollar. I noticed that his fraudster crew all were former life insurance salesmen, mostly from prudential. A number were financial planners - he was paying 20% commissions for referrals.

3. ironpony

ironpony
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 22, 2010
    Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    so the e-mail I received guaranteeing me 2 million in return for investing 100,000 is fraudulent????

4. hossthehermit

hossthehermit
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Say it ain't so, ironpony .......

5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    A few years back a new guy at work wanted me to invest with a company he worked for. He guaranteed me it would pay 13%. 2 years later he was arrested for selling stolen items on Craigslist, big suprise!

6. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I already make 10-15% on all my investments. But i dont want to do it with someone elses money,except my local banks. If i pay 3% to the bank i still make over 10%.
    YOU know the old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted"

7. Swedishchef

Swedishchef
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2010
    Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Terribly sad story. I was always told if it is too good to true, it is.

I have friends that investigate these types of scams and they make for an emotional mess. The victims never get their investment/money back. If they are lucky they get $0.15/1$.

In Canada there was a large ponzi scheme in Montreal and the Royal Bank had been used by the suspect. The victims collectively sued the bank (the fraudster was putting money into RBC and created a scheme with those funds) and won a settlement!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/03/06/royal-bank-earl-jones-fraud-lawsuit.html

Andrew

8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A number of years ago there was a Ponzi scheme going around town . . . at the time I was a stringer for the local newspaper so I wrote up a story . . . lots of folks were quite mad at me and were still claiming it was perfectly legal . . . most were pretty smart folks . . . guess greed sometimes gets in the way of common sense.