Some pics of why we heat with wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
It blew thru here this morning and afternoon with a vengence. Our moderator friend in Wash. State was right when he said it wasn`t the snow we had to worry about it would be the winds following the snow storm. Wonderful thing about acreage and a well is "no power,no water"-- ;-) cept that which is put up in jugs and the filled bathtub. But we kept warm with our wood heat even though the power has been out 17 hours out of the past 24.

Attachments

• big screen 001.jpg
    big screen 001.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 842
  • big screen 002.jpg
    big screen 002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 853
  • big screen 003.jpg
    big screen 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 834
Good to hear you made it through ok. Fortunately, at our house we managed to dodge the bullet with this one. Just some branches and debris. But the coast got slammed with hurricane force winds. Well at least it's warm, temps up 20 degrees from the weekend. But a lot of rain and wind. Down here the problem is flooding and mudslides. The gov has declared a state emergency due to the extent of the damage.

The wind "storm" was nothing much out here in the foothills. The rain is really adding up though causing issues for the lowlanders. Local river to peak at 4AM tomorrow. I'm on standby for sandbagging and evacuation duty.

wind was not bad in my area either, thought it would never stop down pouring rain, reminded me of when I lived oversea's during typhoon season. Hey we were the lead story on all the national news channels!!

Anyway, this is usually just a small stream/creek in my back yard, that usually I can step over, drains into Puget Sound just down the road, however today it took over the bottom of my wood bins. I know they are not the most dramatic pics

Attachments

• P1010004 (2).JPG
    P1010004 (2).JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 710
  • P1010003 (2).JPG
    P1010003 (2).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 693
  • P1010005 (2).JPG
    P1010005 (2).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 703
Man, I've been watching the storms piling on shore out there. You guys have been getting absolutley slammed!

Just got back from a call out to one of our transmitter sites, glad I don't live on top of a mountain tonight! Brutally cold wind, snow, power out at the house, great night to be driving up the side of a mountain in the dark! At least I knew my family is safe, warm, and happy because they and I were ready for things like this. Within 2 minutes of the power going out, without hurrying, we all had our LED headlamps, and were lighting the oil lamps. One short trip to the basement to open up the vents to the furnace and switch on the inverter that runs the blowers and my laptop and cable modem. Hey- gotta have some conveniences!

Seriously, I thank people like you guys when I'm working at 911. You're not the ones calling in crying about some minor inconveniences when there are real emergencies to take care of. One of the things that actually makes our job easier around here is that in this area, the farm blood is still strong. People might call a neighbor to help, but sure won't call anyone else, or get on CNN crying that no one in the government is helping them. That self-reliance is a good thing to know your neighbors all have, to some extent.

Sixty mile an hour winds today and thousands without power here on the Right Coast. We still have power and more importantly that EPDM I lugged over the woodpile didn't even move during the wind and rain.

Yikes! 17 hours without power!
Having no water or heat wouldn't have bothered me too much.....But 17 hrs without the internet would have been a killer!
:lol:

A few years back, Stonewall was without NAT. gas for about that long, and the temp outside was ~ -43C
Some people's houses went below 0 deg C. I was happy we didn't depend on gas for heat.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/energy/consumertips.html

I don't know about Sonny, but we had some serious flooding today. It snowed heavily both Saturday and Sunday with temps around freezing, then it began raining last night and the temps went into the fifties. Basically three days of heavy rainfall had to be drained in a few hours. My back is sore, my house is dry and my living room is 77 F, because even though the temps went up, I didn't adjust my burning.

I got back from the marina about 2 hours ago, went there to check up on the boat, and make sure she's not destroying herself against the dock. The boat was literally tipping over by about 10-15 degrees just from the wind hitting the bare mast. Walking out on the dock was even tough, as the gusts made it somewhat unstable. I went below and flipped on the electronics to get an accurate wind reading, and was seeing gusts of 45-50 knots... definitely decent breeze.
No rain here, just lots of wind. Had a tough time restarting the stove this evening, all that wind makes the draft in the flue increase and disappear over and over again.

-- Mike

Power has been off and on all day. Bremerton area had 9" of rain in the last 24 hours. My house is ok, but the neighbor below me has a crawlspace full of water. temps outside are in the high 50's -tough to keep from cooking my wife out of the house. Looks like the wind and rain is mostly done for now - thank goodness.

Steve

Even we don't get storms like this! :eek:hh: It was a record breaker.

derbygreg said:
looks like a big storm.

I have always wondered if the wind could come down the flu. I trust not.

This morning the winds were around 30mph here in Columbus (nothing compared to the west)

It can happen if your flu is not tall enough. Needs to be 4ft past the peak ridge of structure even if the flu is on the side exterior walls. My thought anyway, I am not a pro but common sense with wind and weather and roof pitch I would think so.

Our power goes out so often, we have the outage line on speed dial. We were out for about 24 hours.

I've set up the blower on our Regency insert so that I can plug it into an inverter than gets power from the car.

Here's a view of the rain coming in.

After two night time trips to staple down the wrapping on one of my piles, I decided to tie it up real tight.

Attachments

• Storm.jpg
    Storm.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 361
  • WrappedPile.jpg
    WrappedPile.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 372
Its funny but multiple winter storms a year apart also was the major impetus for me getting both a chainsaw and subsequently a wood stove. I lost power for 7 and 2 days in each storm and felt the person(s) who wanted to clean up the messes were grossly overcharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.