Some pine observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Well since before joining this blog, I thought is was taboo to burn pine. Well after much reading and the debates here, I decided it's time. A local tree service in town has been dropping off pine here in April and May. I split a bunch in May, stacked it, watched the stack fall over the end of July, when the "almost" tornado came through. So, now it's about time to restack, so I grabbed a few splits and resplit for a MC test. To my surprise 15-19% MC, was the result. These trees were standing and alive in April, now just four and half months a MC of 15-19%. I am a bit shocked. I figured this would be ready for 2011/2012.

KC

Now, I am saying to myself. Damn, could have made bigger splits and saved a lot of time.

KC

Yeah, you should see how fast 1" thick pine boards dry. I sided a shed with freshly cut rough-sawn white pine in early June. The mill is only five miles from my house, but the stuff was so heavy I had to make two trips. By mid-summer the pine siding was down near 12% MC. Six weeks and it was as dry as it'll ever get around here. The cut-offs have burned beautifully in our fire pit.

iskiatomic said:
Now, I am saying to myself. Damn, could have made bigger splits and saved a lot of time.

KC
good thinking, softwood is full of air/not dense

It must be me that's dense.

NASCAR anyone? Let's go see the Modifieds run at NHMS on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!

Or, is that the white side? White pine?

KC

I have burned wood for many years , born in 1948 and was always told since I was akid that if you burn pine in your stove or fireplace it will build up creo. and start fire in your chimney. Started reading this site will probably burn alittle this year. ( seasoned of cource but probably wont sleep well)

Good Night (sweet dreams)

Cpt

And many years ago me and my wife stayed in a little cabin in Colorado with a fireplace and a stack of pine, I actually went to office and asked if some idiot had made a mistake. So we had a fire but didn't sleep but I was young then.

Cpt

BLIMP said:
iskiatomic said:

KC
good thinking, softwood is full of air/not dense

Blimp I hardly recognized you ? Halloween??

i still get the occasional pine lecture from someone . seems like i hear the same story about the creosote buildup with chimney fire saga. i have obtained one of those tubular log racks on trash nite and have it allocated for fine splits of pine. i need to have sompething that starts well and will get the rock up to speed. i must admit i had ignored pine before doing some reading on here. one year i gave away some nice logs of it after thinking it was a bad wood to burn. this year i will start to enjoy some pine and will be able to check it out for myself. pete

I have about 2 cords of pine that I am looking forward to burning this year. It will be my first year burning so there will be some learning going on. I also have mulberry, elm, oak and cedar to join in the fun.

PapaDave said:
Burnin' some pine right now. This very minute, and for the last couple hours, too. :ahhh: :coolsmile:
mosta loaded the stove twice then, to get a couple hours of burn :cheese:

Your very first response, hit the nail on the head..........it's not that Pine is more "wet" than other woods, ....at least not so much about that........but it's more about how QUICKLY it burns up.

I wouldn't use Pine for an overnight burn, for example, but that's NOT to say I wouldn't burn Pine at all. It'd just have to be dry enough.

-Soupy1957

I find it makes great kindling too. Sure, it doesn't coal well, or last as long for overnight burns. But here in the ol' Northeast, people just give it away.

I can't even give white pine away.
I still have some logs in my dump (where I throw anything that I don't want in my compost and rocks) from Hurricane Bob.
Most have rotted and are gone but a few are still in on piece and rather solid.

PapaDave said:
Pineburner, you got a hidden camera in my stove room?
nope, but do the pine stove load shuffle all winter long! its a fun dance once you get the hang of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.