Some pre-1st burn questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
We bought our stove way back in summer but are finally getting our liner installed saturday so we can actually use it. I've read my stove's manual and it's not very specific as far as breaking it in, it just says for the first fire to use 5-6 pieces of newspaper and 10-15 pieces of kindling, let it burn down, and put a few small pieces of wood on. No temp recommendations other than "no hot fires for the first few uses". So, what is a "hot" fire and what temp should I be looking for?
If I'm understanding things, I should light a few small, non-hot fires and let them burn and the stove fully cool down, right?
Do I do this just until the paint has cured? I have a magnetic thermometer, should this be placed on the center or corner of the stove top? (it's connected to the flue with double wall pipe).

I've read several threads about it, so I have a little information in my brain but I'm still a bit nervous about using my new stove. Every house I've ever lived in already had a wood stove installed so this is the first time I've ever used a brand new, never used one.

Most manuals are kinda sketchy on the break in fires. I think it would be pretty safe to use the 200-300-400 F rule for this. After that, light'em if ya got'em.

(i.e. first fire = 200, second = 300, etc.)

What stove is this? Can you add it to the signature in your control panel settings?

yep, added to signature. It's an archgard 1600, the manual is pretty vague as far as instructions go, no temp ranges mentioned at all, just "no hot fires" for a few burns.

It's a steel box. A small starting fire will drive moisture out of the firebrick. Then let it cool down and burn a few small splits. Let it cool down again and you should be set. Open up the windows with the first hot fire. It will stink a bit as it bakes in the paint.

I just finished burning in our new HT2000. Build up gradually, I had 3 low temp fires in it ( 300-400 ), 2 medium ( 400-500 ) and the last one went nuclear 800+. Paint fumes will be an issue but opening the window should make it bearable. The lost one got rid of the paint stink : )

Status
Not open for further replies.