Some Real Winter Temps Last Night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got down to single digit lows overnight. I reloaded at 1 am and then early this morning. Temps never dropped below 70's indoors, so that's good. There are days I wish I had a stove one size bigger, but it would be even better to have a second stove.

We had -5f this morning and the snowfall amount for the two preceding days came to 20". 10" a day is not bad at all, so there were no closings, cancellations or delays.
The next few days will be colder still.

yooperdave said:
We had -5f this morning and the snowfall amount for the two preceding days came to 20". 10" a day is not bad at all, so there were no closings, cancellations or delays.
The next few days will be colder still.

It's really cold in northern Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Last I heard we're supposed to be below the donut tonight and tomorrow night, cleaned the stove today, kicked the program up a notch, filled up with the MWP softwood super premiums, we'll see how they do.

We were predicted to get between 0 & 5 degrees last nite, but they missed
by a little...It's MINUS 3 out there right now with a (maybe) high of 17 later
in the day. Lambeau Field ain't got NUTHIN on us...The P61A is cruising but it
can't get the living room above 64...Gotta use the LP for a boost, dammit...

The ice fishing season looked like it might be saved until I saw the extended forecast. Rain and mid 40's by midweek. 6 degrees here this morning and no, I'm not complaining. I've been burning mostly maple and cherry, and putting the oak to the side just for days like this.

Currently sitting @ -22F here . Loaded the the stove @ 9:30 last night, got up @ 7:30 this am and the temp was 67 in the house. Gave both a clean out and they are now rollin on again. She's winter now, @ least in these parts........................................

DAKSY said:
It's MINUS 3 out there right now with a (maybe) high of 17 later
in the day. The P61A is cruising but it can't get the living room above 64.

Really? I woke up to 65° in the LR where the stove is, but that's because I've been running mine in stove mode and I forgot to turn it up a bit more before going to bed. Was expecting lows around 0°, but woke up to -8°. Cranked the dial up and turned the distribution fan up all the way and now it's 79° on the thermo across the room from it. It just broke 0° outside.

This new place seems so much tighter and better insulated than the old house. I'm sure that is a big factor, but this thing really puts out some serious heat when I need it to. Now to figure out what to do when the shoulder season temps return, the P-61 has been baking us out even on the lowest manual stove setting.

rottiman said:
Currently sitting @ -22F here . Loaded the the stove @ 9:30 last night, got up @ 7:30 this am and the temp was 67 in the house. Gave both a clean out and they are now rollin on again. She's winter now, @ least in these parts........................................

- 20 here in the hils Rotti.

zap

Yup. That is cold. Zap, you keep those temps up there. It only went to about -5 down here according to my stat. Right now I am at 4 degrees. The sun is nice today. Really warming things up. :lol: Lovin it though. Glad to see winter is still going to come each year. I hope it continues that way.

Gasifier said:
Yup. That is cold. Zap, you keep those temps up there. It only went to about -5 down here according to my stat. Right now I am at 4 degrees. The sun is nice today. Really warming things up. :lol: Lovin it though. Glad to see winter is still going to come each year. I hope it continues that way.

The temp is coming up, -4.5. I see the Lisbon area still has about 500 without power.

zap

zapny said:
Gasifier said:
The temp is coming up, -4.5. I see the Lisbon area still has about 500 without power. zap

Really. Interesting. I did not know there were still that many people without power around here. The tree crews contracted to National Grid are all over the area. We were lucky enough to get power back on the same night. It went out in the morning and back on around 07:30 that night. Where did you see that ZAP? Did you have many people up your way lose power?

Whew.. -20, that's cold. Saranac Lake frequently has the coldest lower 48 temp this time of year.
It was -3 overnight just west of Albany, warmed up to +8 now.

Gasifier said:
zapny said:
Gasifier said:
The temp is coming up, -4.5. I see the Lisbon area still has about 500 without power. zap

Really. Interesting. I did not know there were still that many people without power around here. The tree crews contracted to National Grid are all over the area. We were lucky enough to get power back on the same night. It went out in the morning and back on around 07:30 that night. Where did you see that ZAP? Did you have many people up your way lose power?

Looks like they just updated it or I never refreshed the map, https://www1.nationalgridus.com/niagaramohawk/stormcenter/

We never lost power but in the Hannawa Falls area they did, the temps for that area for two days fell below freezing so they had the ice & snow, we never fell below freezing until Friday afternoon so we never had any ice, started snowing by that time.

zap

Thanks for the link. Good for you that you never lost power or got the ice. How much snow do you have built up now? Are you done cutting for a while?

Gasifier said:
Thanks for the link. Good for you that you never lost power or got the ice. How much snow do you have built up now? Are you done cutting for a while?

I think we have 4-6 inches of snow. Looks like next weekend I start cutting again next weekend depending on how much snow we get, we have some bigtooth aspen down just inside the gate off the lane.

I still have all the Cherry I cut a couple of weeks ago to split. I did take a run back in with the rhino yesterday, have some trees that need to come down that I can still get to.

zap

Got down to 9 °F here last night. Already at 11 at 11PM tonight, so I'm expecting around 7 tonight......BRRRRR.

18 below here this morning. I love my Tarm boiler...

My last meeting ended half an hour ago. I went outside and kicked the car awake. She has been plugged in all day, and still screamed. Sitting out there right now doing what we euphemistically call `warming up'. You may laugh if you wish. Ha ha! I am warming up the car. Ha ha!

It is -39F. Do I hafta go home tonight? I've got lots of work I could do here at the office . . .

Fire and son and dinner beckon. I will be brave. I will do the right thing.

I don't wanna.

square-tire syndrome

I am not making this up.

snowleopard said:
square-tire syndrome

I am not making this up.

Ruh Ruh, George !

My fun on the way home:

1) Static electricity is a force with which to be reckoned. You know that scene in The Man in the Iron Mask when they take the mask off the prince and his hair has grown around his face? That's what it was like on the way home. Tried blowing it off, moving it off, and it just re-wrapped. Finally left it there, thinking at least it provided another layer of insulation.
2) Grocery store. Inmates walking around w/a worried-zombie expression on their faces. Forty-mile stare has started to set in. I purchased everything I went in there for, and also left with chips, chocolate-chip waffles(?), and a pizza.
3) two vehicles that were DBA (dead before arrival) on the side of the road on my way to work this a.m. were still there when I drove home tonight; both looked a lot younger than what I was driving.
4) I saw a vehicle swerve to a stop in front of one of them. I figured it was someone coming back for the car, but then I saw the flat-flat-shredded tire on the rear driver's side. Pretty dang adroit driving there to get off the road and around that car w/out a accident. Kudos to that driver.
5) Froze the back of my legs getting gas. Problems w/the pump, and the estimated 2 minutes turned into ten, and that's all it took.

Happy to be home in front of a warm fire tonight.

Tomorrow I get to go back there and do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.