Some serious trees down in the northeast.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
On our way home from the mountains yesterday we were lucky enough to miss some of those wicked storms that passed through northern jersey. And i mean missed em by a few minutes! There are trees down up there close to 4ft dia and maybe some even bigger. Whether it was just high winds or a tornado, somethin snapped those trees like toothpicks.

And it looks like the folks all the way up into maine got hammered too. Lot's of wood to be had up there! Hope everyone's ok...

Smokin, Where exactly did you see these downed trees? What roads were you on?

It was north of the second cirle on rt31. We were comin south from 80 and the watergap. Looked like a chipper went down the highway for a few miles spittin limbs and leaves everywhere..

Speaking of storms . . . last week our Fire Inspector ended up with a few extra days off from work.

He was home on Friday (actually the Friday before this past Friday) when a lightning storm passed through. To make a long story short lightning hit a pine tree near his house . . . blew parts of the tree all over the place, branches and rocks blown up by the blast put numerous holes in his siding, his garden shed was partially destroyed and the surge took out both of his TVs, satellite dish, phone service, internet service and generator . . . and to make matters worse he ended up staying overnight in the hospital when he went to check on the electrical panel to see why his back-up generator had not kicked on, receiving a pretty significant shock in the process . . . and in the meantime the woods had caught on fire which necessitated him having to use his extinguishers to put out the fire.

So he tells me all this and what was my response? . . . . .. . . . Well, at least you'll have some pre-split kindling for your wood fire next year.

Of course, we can blame all of our Fire Inspector's misfortunes on the fact that this was a pine tree . . . if it was an oak or hickory tree nothing bad would have happened. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Speaking of storms . . . last week our Fire Inspector ended up with a few extra days off from work.

He was home on Friday (actually the Friday before this past Friday) when a lightning storm passed through. To make a long story short lightning hit a pine tree near his house . . . blew parts of the tree all over the place, branches and rocks blown up by the blast put numerous holes in his siding, his garden shed was partially destroyed and the surge took out both of his TVs, satellite dish, phone service, internet service and generator . . . and to make matters worse he ended up staying overnight in the hospital when he went to check on the electrical panel to see why his back-up generator had not kicked on, receiving a pretty significant shock in the process . . . and in the meantime the woods had caught on fire which necessitated him having to use his extinguishers to put out the fire.

So he tells me all this and what was my response? . . . . .. . . . Well, at least you'll have some pre-split kindling for your wood fire next year.

Of course, we can blame all of our Fire Inspector's misfortunes on the fact that this was a pine tree . . . if it was an oak or hickory tree nothing bad would have happened. ;) :)

AHHH those evil pine trees, I got lucky and defeated the one that attacked me, fended the beast off with my saw and was able to finally kill it with my splitter.
Was not too big a beast though, stacked up to bout a cord with a few of its offspring.
Never got to tangle with a splodin' one though.

Hey Smokin have you got any wood off the parkway this summer??
They been hackin' it up pretty good and leaving the wood in nice piles all bucked up and nice.

Nah i havent even been down that way. And i've never seen em leave it roadside before. Maybe it actually is up for grabs??

firefighterjake said:

If he didn't have pine trees in the first place, he probably wouldn't have had a strike. :)

Clear proof that god likes neither pine trees nor fire inspectors. For a fire inspector to have pine near his house is just asking for a little biblical justice.

SmokinPiney said:
Nah i havent even been down that way. And i've never seen em leave it roadside before. Maybe it actually is up for grabs??

they are making the parkway wider from about north brick to down past lacey from what ive seen and buckin and satckin the piles
right out close to the road. like almost puttin a sign on it that says please take it.
talked to a troop and he said he thinks they are doing it like that on purpose so it saves them the expense of getting rid of it.
kinda implied that they ain't bustin balls if they see ya pickin it up.
i took three loads of oak off earlier in the spring, but they been stackin oak,maple, cherry, and of course a lot of pine.
if you pass through that way keep an eye out maybe it could get ya a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.