some shrimp on the 'barbie'.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Wife had a bag of shrimp in the fridge, so I fired up the ol' keyhole pit and she skewered them up. Sprinkle on some Old Bay seasoning, squeeze a lemon over them, and on the pit they go!

2012-08-02_18-43-17_57.jpg 2012-08-02_18-46-14_751.jpg 2012-08-02_18-48-06_341.jpg 2012-08-02_18-50-36_741.jpg 2012-08-02_18-53-29_194.jpg 2012-08-02_18-59-42_911.jpg

Yum!

Them some damn good looking Shrimp Scotty....

I have been having trouble finding a good cooking rack (want one to fit pretty good).

After seeing How nice Stax's pit cake out and how he basically designed the cooking pit around the grate he had, I now am after the "ultimate fit"..

This site has caused my OCD to become out of control!!!! Ahhhh...!! :)

Reactions: ScotO
I have been having trouble finding a good cooking rack (want one to fit pretty good).

Dex, I welded my grate together out of 3/16" stainless steel rod, but stainless steel expanded metal would be the way to go. They make it in many different gauges, I'd go with something with around 1/2" to 3/4" holes. Look on the web or maybe locally.

51e3VxRj9WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dex, I welded my grate together out of 3/16" stainless steel rod, but stainless steel expanded metal would be the way to go. They make it in many different gauges, I'd go with something with around 1/2" to 3/4" holes. Look on the web or maybe locally.

View attachment 71323

Thanks Scotty... That never crossed my mind.

Them some damn good looking Shrimp Scotty....

After seeing How nice Stax's pit cake out and how he basically designed the cooking pit around the grate he had, I now am after the "ultimate fit"..

This site has caused my OCD to become out of control!!!! Ahhhh...!! :)

Hey DEX found one the otherday at Rual King would fit a larger pit

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
Looks Awesome!

The only place (at least locally for us) that even comes CLOSE to making shrimp that taste this good is Red Lobster, when hey have the endless shrimp special. They do a wood-fired teriyaki skewer that is really good. But these ones from the 'pit were awesome, very easy to make and cooked literally in a matter of around 5 minutes!

Scotty, that reminds me of my trip to Maryland after I met my wife. We went to visit her sister and family (more like I had to run the gauntlet;lol). The second day, we went to a local place and got some shrimp that had been cooked in Old Bay (I think they were steamed). We got enough to fill a very large bowl and my future inlaws watched me eat,.....and eat.....and eat.....
Looking back, they must have thought I was a neanderthal. I'd never had such good shrimp.
Anyway......uh, you suck.:p But only because I'm jealous.;em
Very good looking skewered shrimpies.

Mmmmm....I loves me some shrimps...MMMhmmm.

No pics to prove it (we ate it too fast), but flounder with infused olive oil and roasted corn relish with steamed Italian veggies was the plate to beat last night. You might have just done it.;)

Good lookin vittles right there. I'm making some steaks tonight....might just have to get some shrimp to keep them company.

Mmmmm....I loves me some shrimps...MMMhmmm.

No pics to prove it (we ate it too fast), but flounder with infused olive oil and roasted corn relish with steamed Italian veggies was the plate to beat last night. You might have just done it.;)
Oh man! Flounder? That's one of my faves! I can see some flounder in the keyhole firepit in the very near future Jags!

Oh man! Flounder? That's one of my faves! I can see some flounder in the keyhole firepit in the very near future Jags!
Dude if you do it - make this very simple roasted corn relish to go with it. Stupid good.

3 ears of sweet corn (roasted till speckled on all sides)
1/4 of red bell pepper (diced small)
1/2 of a small red onion Dice small(or bulb onions)
2 TBL spoons of chopped cilantro
2 TBL spoons olive oil.
2 TBL spoons of lime juice (fresh)
2 tsp of Mexican oregano.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Cut corn off of cob and combine all ingredients. Simple, fresh and bright. It just screams SUMMER.
I use this as a condiment right ON TOP of the fish.

Reactions: Lewiston and ScotO
Dude if you do it - make this very simple roasted corn relish to go with it. Stupid good.

3 ears of sweet corn (roasted till speckled on all sides)
1/4 of red bell pepper (diced small)
1/2 of a small red onion Dice small(or bulb onions)
2 TBL spoons of chopped cilantro
2 TBL spoons olive oil.
2 TBL spoons of lime juice (fresh)
2 tsp of Mexican oregano.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Cut corn off of cob and combine all ingredients. Simple, fresh and bright. It just screams SUMMER.
I use this as a condiment right ON TOP of the fish.

Jags that sounds fantastic! I will be trying that recipe, thanks for sharing it! You're right that screams summer!

It's defintely easier to get the grid and make the firepit tomatch, than make a firepit and spend the whole summer trying to get a grid. I speak from experience..........

And they are some tasty looking shrimp there :)

Reactions: DexterDay and ScotO
Looks great Scotty, wish I could eat shellfish (allergic). Pic #5 is the one!

Status
Not open for further replies.