Some snow removal photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Mercedes Benz is a big supplier of truck mounted snowblowers used mostly outside the US except at airports as they havent imported road legal versions for quite a while due to the low volume of potential sales in the US. With the recent California snows the subject of snowblowing came up on the Unimog Forums recently. One of the members of the forum has an extensive photo catalog of everything Unimog. If you think CA has deep snow go to this post and scroll down to post 8 https://www.benzworld.org/threads/panoramic-cab.3117170/#post-18574635

Definitely some serious snow.

About 70 K will get a good running 30 year old used one in the US. The snowblower is usually hydraulically powered by a separate truck engine in the bed.

• Wow
Reactions: SpaceBus
Mercedes Benz is a big supplier of truck mounted snowblowers used mostly outside the US except at airports as they havent imported road legal versions for quite a while due to the low volume of potential sales in the US. With the recent California snows the subject of snowblowing came up on the Unimog Forums recently. One of the members of the forum has an extensive photo catalog of everything Unimog. If you think CA has deep snow go to this post and scroll down to post 8 https://www.benzworld.org/threads/panoramic-cab.3117170/#post-18574635

Definitely some serious snow.

About 70 K will get a good running 30 year old used one in the US. The snowblower is usually hydraulically powered by a separate truck engine in the bed.

One time we had 3' of snow. I was new to the area and was outside checking the depth of the snow drifts when I heard this massive roaring sound. Was it a salt / plow truck? No. While we have buffalo airport sized plowtrucks, I heard no metal on concrete noises. But I did hear what sounded like things crashing into the woods. After a few minute I saw it, it was this large caterpillar like piece of construction equipment, not sure what...with a massive snowblower on it.
This thing was every bit of 7' wide and 5' tall. It shot 3' of snow 75' plus without little to no effort. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I was pretty sure I needed to get inside away from the windows.

I saw reference somewhere that they have to cut down in layers and they do not actually know where the road is so they need GPS. If you look at the yellow line on the road the trench is not exactly aligned with the actual road.

The Mt Washington Auto road in my "backyard" usually has to dig through significant snow drifts that build up over the winter before they can open up. They use conventional construction equipment, excavators, loaders and dump trucks but the land drops off steeply along the road so they just dump it off the side.

I saw reference somewhere that they have to cut down in layers and they do not actually know where the road is so they need GPS. If you look at the yellow line on the road the trench is not exactly aligned with the actual road.

The Mt Washington Auto road in my "backyard" usually has to dig through significant snow drifts that build up over the winter before they can open up. They use conventional construction equipment, excavators, loaders and dump trucks but the land drops off steeply along the road so they just dump it off the side.I
Not that we see snow anymore but when we did, they would take an approach with a high likelyhood of the area being a road, then would slowly move over during next passes looking for signs they are going onto the shoulder. Like stone, grass, rocks banging off their plows. Many here highlight things that would be buried in snow with reflective poles that stick up from things like fire hydrants, utilities etc.
I havent seen snow like that in well over 5 years, and a persistent level of deep snow for 10.

I think that is why a lot of New England towns require granite curbs on streets, the snowplow can find them and they seem to survive. The salt eats the concrete curbs and the asphalt ones usually end up on someone's front yard after a winter to two.

I think that is why a lot of New England towns require granite curbs on streets, the snowplow can find them and they seem to survive. The salt eats the concrete curbs and the asphalt ones usually end up on someone's front yard after a winter to two.
There's a special place in hell for people that install asphalt curbs in Downeast Maine. They just seem to make everyone's job harder, except for the contactor that made it.