Some sort of birch/cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Bark is very much like a birch, but it's not a paper birch (wrong color), and it's not a black birch (wrong color grain, no minty smell). A tree guy who saw it, said a type of cherry possibly. The town cut it down so no hope of seeing the leaves.. Grain is white outside with a rich tan core.

Attachments

• P1060806.jpg
    P1060806.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 281
  • P1060807.jpg
    P1060807.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 291
patch53 said:
I'm almost positive thats yellow birch. Used to cut a lot of it years ago.

Pat

Pat is the yellow birch the same has curly birch?

zap

Yellow birch is supposed to smell of wintergreen though as well. This definitely does not.

CarbonNeutral said:
Bark is very much like a birch, but it's not a paper birch (wrong color), and it's not a black birch (wrong color grain, no minty smell). A tree guy who saw it, said a type of cherry possibly. The town cut it down so no hope of seeing the leaves.. Grain is white outside with a rich tan core.

I recently posted some pics of wood that looks like yours and people here ID'd it as yellow birch which is a good firewood..

Ray

I'd say that is a birch - perhaps Yellow Birch. The pics are too close up for me to get an overall impression of the appearance of the bark. but I definitely think birch.

Ok, you guys are right - resplit again - the core (but not the outer rings) has a very faint wintergreen smell - so going with yellow birch. Apologies for the definitive "does not smell of wintergreen" - so used to the overpowering black birch smell..

Definitely yellow birch in my opinion - smell the twigs (scrape off the thin bark), not the rounds. Enjoy the burn - great wood!

Yellow . . . possibly gray . . . birch would be my best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.