1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

some things you just can't microwave

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Delta-T, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i'm sure i am like many others and last nights dinner is also today's lunch. my complaint is in reference to steak. I made spicy teriyaki steak and rice...also some pot stickers. Steak is just the worst when reheated in microwave...the worst. it is the proverbial "shoe leather". And so, lunch becomes white rice, and some pot stickers. i do not eat the food of the water (fishes, clamses and their cousins, or the cockroach of the sea) but ig hazard a guess that they also lose something in the ole microwave. DANG YOU MICROWAVE! DANG YOU!
    DevilsBrew and woodgeek like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Reheat it at half power instead of nuking it at full power.
    n3pro, PapaDave and flyingcow like this.
  3. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    are you for serious or just messin with me? I have heard rumor of this "half power" setting, but never used it.
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    If you have the option of selecting a power level, that's gonna make a huge difference. On mine, instead of just punching the button that gives it a minute on high, I can set the time, and select a power level from 1 to 10. Some stuff I heat gently...low power, couple minutes (maybe), let it "rest", do it again if needed. I've had pretty good results.
    n3pro likes this.
  5. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i can select the power rating and whatnot...just never have. not in all my days of using the microwave. I semi assumed they were for show...like all the flashing lights on the console of the original Enterprise. Lots of beeping. I shall give it a go nect time. thank you.
    Soundchasm and Mrs. Krabappel like this.
  6. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Next time, once you have your food on the plate, put a bowl upside down over top of it. Over top of the food, that is - you don't want the bowl bigger around than the plate or you'll have a mess to clean up.

Keeps all the good in. Or at least as much of it as possible.

Tossing out day old steak? Blasphemy!
    Thistle, flyingcow and Delta-T like this.
  7. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    thank you, i do always cover the food, usually it is in microwave safe type container system with lid slightly ajar to keep from exploding.
  8. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    This subject got me thinking of a time 25 yrs ago, or so. Single days, running with a hard working crowd, that when saturday came it was lets get together and hang out. With a few beers of course.

Microwaves had been around for a bit, but not that long. Told a good friends wife(we were at her house), that it's a simple breakfast and good. Take an egg(keep it in the shell) and wrap with bacon. Bacon keeps the shell soft and prevents a mess.

Bang...funny at the time.
    Joful likes this.
  9. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    Instead of a lid get some moist paper towels and cover the meat with them, and as others have said lower the heat some, another trick is to set a small cup of water next to the plate while cooking

I nuke leftover steak all the time for my lunch at work, no it does not come out the medium rare that i put it in as, but still comes out respectable. Key is to get / keep some moisture in it
    Thistle likes this.
  10. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    Now , now we will have none of that, you simply can't lump all the essential food groups together & then call them bad! Blasphemy indeed!
  11. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Add the steak for the last 15 - 20 seconds at a "higher power", stir, and serve. No shoe leather ;)
  12. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    se mass
    when I need a need a new microwave I just set it on high with a half dozen eggs in it.
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Had a left over chuck eye tonight that was microwaved . . . came out great. I think it was rare though when I cooked it .. . medium rare after a short stint in the microwave merry go around.
  14. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    always cover and add a tablespoon of water cook at 50% power. Chinese comes out great meat or no meat. with the addition of water rice won't be a lump.
  15. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Leftover steak, chopped up simmered with onions,mushrooms and topped with mozz cheese becomes a philly cheese-steak sub. Whats not to like.
    Wildo and Thistle like this.
  16. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    When I cook mashed potatoes, I always cook way more than we need. Throw some in a frying pan on high heat a couple days later, cut in some leftover meat (steak = awesome), onions, whatever-other-veggies, sprinkle some steak spice, some good stirring & top with a bit of cheese. Pretty good end result for 5 minutes work.

Guess this is getting away from microwaves....
    Thistle likes this.
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    ::DTit helps to remove the steak from the steer before microwaving.
    Delta-T and flyingcow like this.
  18. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I would never call the ocean foods "bad" just that i dont eat them....I say "cockroach of the sea" as a term of endearment for the lobster. They so cute and cuddly just like cockroaches:).
  19. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Eat it cold. There are lot of foods that I prefer cold she left over
    Wildo, Swedishchef and pen like this.
  20. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I appreciate the use of the Greek alphabet, βεγρεεν.
  21. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    When I cook up meat (hamburger, london broil, steaks, chops) I do it in large quantities on the grill and barely cook them, just so the surface is colored and gets grill marks but very undercooked inside. Then I freeze on freezer shelf and put in a freezer bag(s) after frozen. To serve lets say a 6-8 oz hamburger (5/8- 3/4" thick). I cover a pan on the gas stove put on high while I defrost/par cook the hamburger on high for about 1 min to 1.5 min in microwave, then about 2 minutes in the covered pan that's already heated up (usually with a slice of cheese that will melt, burger will be pinkish inside but hot).

If using the microwave alone (no stove, or oven) to reheat meat to serve, will cover with a wet paper towel to keep from drying out, but prefer to parcook/defrost in microwave and finish with real surface heat (stove/oven/toaster oven).
  22. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    What is this new fangled contraption you speak of?
  23. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Run away! They make your food radioactive. !!!
  24. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Dad went to his grave believing that. Wouldn't let one in the house.
    Swedishchef and fossil like this.
  25. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    I'm more afraid of the loss of counter space
    fossil likes this.