some things you just can't microwave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spend most of my day hovering over / working on high power microwave circuitry. One well known fact is that microwave engineers and techs only have daughters, but aside from that (and countless burns, fires, explosions, and the very rare instant death), the many geriatric engineers with whom I work (post-WW2 era radar guys) all swear its safe.

God bless the dipoles of various molecules such as water, fats and sugars. It lets me get popcorn in 3 mins 30 seconds and a warmed pizza pocket in 90 seconds.

But it does turn steak into a rubber boot at high temps. You essentially strain all water/fat/moisture out of it when running on high. Try a lower setting as others have suggested.

If I'm reheating something on a dinner plate, I always put a glass (pyrex) pie plate over it. It has enough weight to hold splatters and steam in, which helps keep things moist and keeps the microwave cleaner. I pretty much set it and forget it, and that makes it a bit more forgiving.

Dad went to his grave believing that. Wouldn't let one in the house.

Grandmother kept getting them as Christmas gifts . . . and then would give them away to other folks. She finally kept one when she learned she could microwave popcorn . . . and that's all she used it for until the day she died.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Microwaving a CD is pretty entertaining.

Reactions: Ashful
Microwave popcorn- mmm mmm diacetyl! You can keep it.

I'm a chemist that avoids nasty chemicals.

I've switched over myself to just putting some popcorn into a paperbag and microwaving it . . . and then pouring some melted butter on top. Much better tasting . . . and probably better for me.

Does that work well Jake?

Depends . . . sometimes I have too much popcorn in the bag and some kernels don't pop up. Otherwise, it works OK . . . I just put them in the paperbag, fold it over and hit the "popcorn" setting.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Looks good, and it has an epic Viking logo!

Status
Not open for further replies.