Some very sobering artwork

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
I heard this guy on the radio and then checked out his artwork on his website. He uses graphics to put almost inconceivable numbers in perspective.

I'm having a hard time getting it out of my mind today, especially the Midway Island stuff.

www.chrisjordan.com

Glad I was able to get to know his work for the first time.

Although the Midway photo's are carefully contrived IMHO, the amount of plastic floating in the Pacific ocean is hard to exaggerate. Especially now that millions of containers of finely crushed/cut colorful recycled waste plastic bits appear to be going to China to be reused there (in and by itself a very good thing) it obviously happens a lot that containers get swept overboard in bad weather.

On the beach walks my wife and I made along the Northern California coast last Fall we saw these little bits everywhere. I don't think anyone has invented any technology yet that can ever clean all that op again.

Our children's children will probably grow up thinking that these are just colorful beach pebbles....

Thanks!

Henk

PyMS said:
Glad I was able to get to know his work for the first time.

Although the Midway photo's are carefully contrived IMHO, the amount of plastic floating in the Pacific ocean is hard to exaggerate.

I appreciate the the response. I've seen other photos/videos that support the extent of impact at Midway. I believe the photos are representative of what occurs there.

I spent about an hour checking out the site. I like the photos but not so much the computer artwork. Clever, but kinda monotone. Also, how about a little variety and spreading around the blame. Doesn't anyone else keep accurate records on the waste they create?

Status
Not open for further replies.