Someone Give Me Some Good News, PLEASE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be very nice to see a picture of the cap. I often am able to cut the top portion of the cap off and leave the base with the air cooling potion intact. Let the liner run up past that base, then use a clamp style storm collar and cap. It works very well.
Pretty much a better explanation of what I was trying to say.

no actually it doesn't, it allows the air to come thru
i've installed a bunch of them :)

If that is the case - it will be hard to beat a 90 dollar solution.

Ah, OK. I found another pic.

homesaver-factory-built-liner-adaptor-for-6-inch-chimney-liner-15.gif

That thing is slicker'n greased owl poop.

It would be very nice to see a picture of the cap. I often am able to cut the top portion of the cap off and leave the base with the air cooling potion intact. Let the liner run up past that base, then use a clamp style storm collar and cap. It works very well.
Dura vent makes a liner kit that's specifically for this application, it wasn't as easy as the way I mentioned above. There was no benefit to using their top kit except its listed, for what that's worth.

Ok, I think that is what Jags was suggesting. Still trying to map out a way to get to the top of the chimney tomorrow afternoon.

Another question I have is how big is that prefab fireplace? I have out several 1750's in prefabs and most often its tight! Even though it will technically fit, you still need both flues to line up and have room to get your hands in there to make the connection. We often end up needing to use an adjustable offset box because there is no room for elbows.

The prefab the insert is going into is much larger than the insert. But I did get an offset box just to be sure.

It has a hd screen under neath, which allows for a gap to let the air flow

This seems like it really might be the ticket, thanks! I'll do a little more reading up on it and I'll still try to get pics when I can and post them in this thread.

I'm having a hard time seeing how air gets to the prefab, but I'm deferring to the opinion of the experts on this one.

It has a hd screen under neath, which allows for a gap to let the air flow

Ok, so can't get through to Chimney Liner Depot technical support line, my question is this, can I just use sheet metal screws from the top to attach the top plate?

Meaning, I would use screws around the side to attach this adaptor to the prefab chimney, then I would screw the top plate in from the top, correct?

I'm telling ya'll, this site is WAY better than trying to deal with the people I'm been calling on the phone for the last 24 hours!

Ok so I have found two websites that I can purchase this adaptor from.

Chimneylinerdepot.com:
Not sure what the large diameter measurement is of this adaptor.

The opening for the liner is 8".

Efireplacestore.com:
The large diameter is 15 3/4" and the opening for the liner is 6".

So if anyone knows what the large diameter is of the one from chimney liner depot, that information will really help make a decision. I figure the larger the better to allow max air for cooling the factory chimney.

Also, I was thinking that the 8" opening for the liner would be good so there would be space between the liner and the walls of the adaptor. Unless it is better to have this connection fit snug? If so, assuming I go with the one that has the 8" opening, should I insulate the liner through this adaptor?

Which brings up a seperate question, how far from the top and how close to the stove do you insulate the pipe?

Final question (for now haha), tech support at efireplace store said to fold the liner over the top of this adaptor and then attach the cap. And that this adaptor is not positively connected to te factory chimney in any way. Do these two pieces of advice sound correct to the experts here?

Thanks in advance for your patience with me! It's chilly down here now and the weather will break for a few days over the weekend, so I would love to have the stove running in a week or so. Still working on a truck bed/ ladder combination to get to the chimney top for pictures.

So I contacted chimneylinerdepot.com and apparently these adapters are fabricated to individual specs, so before I can order one I have to tell the guy the exact diameter of the top of my pipe. Add to that the fact that I really need pictures to get the most accurate help from the experts here.

So that means I need to get to my chimney NOW rather than in a couple weeks when I'm ready to do the install.

That leads to another area that I'm open to suggestions. I've got about 16ft of chimney, about 8ft of which is above my roof line. The chimney is exposed, no chase, and is about 3ft from the fascia edge of the roof. I've borrowed 15ft of scaffolding that can get me to the height, but I can't figure out how to *safely* get over to the actual chimney.

The long term plan is to build a semi permanent structure to facilitate yearly cleanings, but for now I need a low cost, easily constructed/removed solution that doesn't alter the roof or the scaffolding.

Any ideas? There are two prevailing ideas at the moment: 1) lay a sturdy board from the scaffolding to the roof or 2) attach bracing to the scaffolding and build a 2x4/plywood platform that extends to the top of the chimney. What do you all think?

Thanks.

You could try using a ridge hook. It's a large s shaped piece of steel that attaches to the top of a ladder. You get the ladder (or ladder section) with the hook over the ridge. Then you can (more) safely climb up there. Hook should only cost about $25-35. Find them at a big box or a paint store.

Status
Not open for further replies.