Someone took a wrong turn in my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinlp

Aug 9, 2006
Hyde Park, NY
My wife and I were eating lunch yesterday and I heard noises coming from the stove pipe. We have lots of wasps that love our house so I thought it was them poking around the pipe. Then I saw something in the firebox out of the corner of my eye.

To my great surprise it was a little bird. My wife snapped a couple photos of the lost traveler and I put on my hearth gloves and reached in and grabbed him and brought him outside. He took off into the air out of my hands.

He was rather clean so my pipe must be looking pretty good.

How can I prevent this and wasps from nesting in the chimney (or from coming down into the house)? My thought is a garbage bag or something similar over the cap and top of the pipe. Then leave a note in the stove to NOT LIGHT FIRE WITHOUT REMOVING COVER.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 102_4996.JPG
    102_4996.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,021
CountryGal said:
Wow! I thought with the cap and spark arrestor birds couldn't get in the chimney. Yikes!

I told you not to burn bird feed! :)

If you have an overdamping problem, I guess a damper could solve two problems in one shot...

Jay

Kevin- if a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, what is a bird in stove worth?That bird is lucky you burn a NON-CAT stove! :p :p :p

No I had to remove it. Didn't give him time to try to find his way out. He was only in the firebox for a couple minutes.

Kevin said:
No I had to remove it. Didn't give him time to try to find his way out. He was only in the firebox for a couple minutes.

You should (could?) get on Ashleigh's about that. There's no reason for that bird to have been able to get in. Take a look at mine, There's no way a bird could get in.

Todd said:
Did it fly back out?

Just for info: once a bird comes down the pipe it is almost imposible for them to exit. The cant fly straight up.

Lunch! Just kidding. That is pretty humorous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.