Somerset pellets from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clincker

Feb 10, 2009
Northern MN
Somerset pellets from Lowes burning goodnhot. Englander PDVC25 with OAK did not like them until turned up low feed air up by 2. Burning hotter than ever, but still seem to get a half moon shape of crusty ash built up over 4-5 hours. It builds up right in front of the auger - most of the ash is fine but this half moon crust shape is about the size of big coffee cup and continues to grow. Is this how it should be? Does it need more air? I have been burning Marth (good) Pennington (ok) and Valley Forest (poor), but they all burned to fine ash. I like the Somersets because they burn a lot hotter and throw more heat. What should I try?

I know this is an older post Clinker, but I agree with you. Somersets burn super hot. I do get some thicker, black build around the feed chute with them also. Not much ash build up, and no hard clinkers. I went through a ton last year and almost another, so far this year, with the same results. I love the amount of heat I get from them, so I have another ton ready to go for the heart of winter to come.

Have you measured how much hotter they are at the heat exchanger to see how much more heat your actually getting, compared to the extra ash?

No I have not. I'm a year old newbie, who is becoming addicted to this site, and tinkering with my stove. I do have some other brands lying around, and thought about doing some tests. The wife already thinks I'm having an affair with the stove, so I may as well go all the way.

I was pretty pleased with my testing of these pellets. Good hot and low ash. I didn't get any clinkers but I have a stirrer in the burn pot. About the same temps as the ligs I tried with just a tad less ash.

Clincker said:
Somerset pellets from Lowes burning goodnhot. Englander PDVC with OAK did not like them until turned up low feed air up by 2. Burning hotter than ever, but still seem to get a half moon shape of crusty ash built up over 4-5 hours. It builds up right in front of the auger - most of the ash is fine but this half moon crust shape is about the size of big coffee cup and continues to grow. Is this how it should be? Does it need more air? I have been burning Marth (good) Pennington (ok) and Valley Forest (poor), but they all burned to fine ash. I like the Somersets because they burn a lot hotter and throw more heat. What should I try?

I found Somerset do burn much hotter than most pellets I have tried in my 25 PDVC and tend to build a crust over time although not quite as large as you describe. The ash in the burn pot tends to be darker and denser than Lignetics for example. I get a lighter crust with Lignetics and somewhat less heat. Sometimes I open the door and to cast it off to the side, other times I do it at shutdown. It doesn't really seem to diminish the heat output.

I have had good luck with them in Engalnder PDVC-25. Thowinng more heat ( measured with meat thermometers - one in intake and blower temp) than any other pellet I can get. They do have a little more ash though. No scientific results - but I would give em tow thumbs up if they are reasonably priced. From what else I have burned, Marth would be close to its equivalent and they would be just behind Rockies - that I cant get regularly.

I am burning my first ton of them right now, been through about 20 bags so far and I love them. They do burn hot and the Penningtons I burnt last year dont even compare. WAY less ash than the penns. The only problem I am having is that I can't get my 25PDVC set right for them on the low feed settings. The batch I have are pretty small in length and I have my LFF set all the way down to 2 and still cant get them to feed slow enough for a bag to last a full 24 hrs. If I go down to 1 on the LFF it doesn't feed enough to keep it burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.