Somerset Pellets or Penningtons???? Lowes screwup!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvwinter

Jul 28, 2008
Smyrna,Ny Upstate
Did alot of research on these two brands and found alot of people like the Somerset pellets and the reviews are mixed on the Penningtons,I know of the previous problems with the Penningtons but most people say that was from early last year and the year before.Bought 7 ton of the somerset pellets from lowes on mon to be del tomorrow,driver calls me today to del em I was still on the rd told em where to put em etc..Got home and checked over pellets and they sent 7 ton of the Penningtons the exact think I told the sales lady would happen,we labeled all 7 tons and they bring the wrong crap.Now I'm getting this song and dance we don't have any more of the somerset and not sure if we will get anymore etc...Ah the joys of buying from a big box.Think I'll keep a ton of the penningtons to try and they are telling me they expect another ld of the somerset's on Thur.Just looking for some opinions on both brands from any users...Thxs

Burnt somersets last year, they were one of the best pellets I ever used. Very low ash and HOT burning, they are a waste product from their hardwood flooring co. They do not buy sawdust from another source. On the other hand you never know what you get from Pennington, will it be a good batch or not? Not a risk I want to take. Far too many bad reviews. Wait on the Somersets, you won't be disappointed. Stick Lowes with the questionable Penningtons.

I wish I was able to get Somerset. I think you will find them to be an excellent pellet. When I did burn them last year I didn't have to clean my glass for days, as I did with some of the other quality pellets I burnt(lignetics, hammer, turman)Good luck, and have a happy heating season.

Somersets are the pellet of choice for me also. Continuous quality of this pellet year after year is great.

I burned 4 tons of somerset last year and they are great. Very little ash, they burn hot and clean. This year I got 5 tons of White Lightning, they are also made from oak flooring sawdust same as somerset. You will find somersets are a very good pellet. As was said, there are almost no fines in somerset bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.