1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Somerset vs. Green supreme.... pellet wars in the Englander cpm

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MikeP, Feb 25, 2013.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    When you really feel like you can handle it you need to have a head to head between Infernos and NEWP. Bear runs for cover ............. > >

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Dis I gotta see!
  3. MikeP

MikeP Member

Loc:
    Northern NY
    These supposed to be the worst of the worst? I'll keep my eyes open for them, don't believe any are available close by.
  4. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I have heard some say Inferno's are better and pretty hot. I haven't tried any this season though(stoves still a little green from the last time).

From what I hear, They have a new-better fiber source. So might be worth a try?
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    ;lol ;lol ;lol
  6. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    OMV predicted it!
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I remember that, But can't find the thread. And I have seen a few here say they are doing pretty well for them.

Was it OMV that said he saw the trucks and the nice clean fiber?
  8. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I think the owner of Inferno was the guy OMV met in a parking lot to discuss a job he wanted OMV to do. (cue the Godfather music)
    oldmountvernon likes this.
  9. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Ha!.....Speaking of Basements....;lol
  10. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    What I am stating pellet quality actually affects the actual convection air temp of the stove. When I use a premium pellet the flame color that is at the base of the firepot is blue-white and a right white to the flame tips. Flame color is an indication of heat range. Orange- white flame color is a much cooler burn and results in lower convection air temp.

A perfect example is u can't cut through a piece of steel with a propane torch but you can with an oxy - acetiline one:)
  11. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I second that :)
  12. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    agreed, however the hotter the pellet the hotter the flue temps, stove temp (radiant heat), and convection temp. the stove is not going to extract a greater percentage of heat from any pellet and direct it to only convection.
  13. ghandy131

ghandy131 Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    First year with GS. Last year I used FS Ultras and Turmans. Liked them both. This year tried some GS from HD and they seemed to burn well at a setting of 4 or 5, so I bought 4 ton. As the weather got colder and the setting increased to 7 and 8 I started fighting clinkers, ash, low heat, over filling pot - just a mess. I fought with these through 15 - 20 bags and then tried changing the AOT (third button) on the stove. WOW, now I have a favorite pellet. I run the bottom three buttons on 1-5-3 and the heat range at any level and get great heat, clean burn, a little sooty glass and I don't need to clean the stove but for every week or two running constantly at 6 - 9 heat range (12 - 20 bags). The cleaning is due to the ash bin will tend to fill up at that point. Ran 10 bags of my left over Turmans last week when the temp dropped and they did NOT perform as well as the GS.
  14. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    There is definitely something to be said for knowing you stove and fine tuning the burn.....nice to hear you have good results.
  15. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Really?? I suggest you check out my post concerning stove efficiency. I have an Italian made high efficiency stove with dual cast iron heat exchanger's and a burn pot that re- ignites the gas emitted by the pellets.Please note the Exhaust temp in pic's 6 - 10:)

http://www.hearth.com/talk/conversations/palazzetti-ecofire-owners-review.3611/

http://www.hearth.com/talk/conversations/palazzetti-owners-review-pics-1-5.3612/

http://www.hearth.com/talk/conversations/palazzetti-owners-review-pics-6-10.3613/
  16. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    You're not a very good quitter Woody (almost 2 days)!!;)

Just for the record...Somerset's burn HOT...Green Supreme's make a nice set of stairs if I remember correctly!
    slvrblkk and DexterDay like this.
  17. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    I cant view the pics my monitor is fading.
    You have an advanced pellet stove but I still cant see how the exchange system will take a greater % of heat from the hotter pellet to the point that the exaust is colder than that of a cooler burning pellet regardless of what its made of. I would think the secondary ignition feature would actually work better w a poor pellet than a clean burning one.
  18. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Iron is a great collector of heat and heat exchanger area dictates how much heat is retained by the stove;ex