1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Somersets vs. Green Team...ton for ton I think Green Team wins

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smwilliamson, Jan 6, 2013.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Lots of Pellet Manufacturers make a "Re-bagged" pellet under a different name.

It allows the Hearth Shop to sell the Higher name brand for more money, while the BB store gets there piece of the pie and can sell for a lot less than the Mom and Pop shop.

Looking from both sides, it really only sucks for the Dealers. Especially when the consumer finds out about the "cheaper" brand, being the same thing :(

But loyalty can overcome price in small towns. And thats why Good dealers are still able to attach that premium price. A great product from a great dealer, who provides great service, is priceless :)
    PoolGuyinCT likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    so it's ok for okanagen and others to charge $320 per but you're pissed for lowes to charge $260 for GT's ?

sorry but forgot to say pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
  3. John C.

John C. Member

Loc:
    Wethersfield Ct.
    Soo the stuff the pellet wharehouse's sell have inferno's in there bags.Haha.
  4. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    I think what this thread confirms is that different stoves burn the same pellets differently.
  5. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    I am not "pissed" as you say nor did I not know that things are rebranded but when you take the same product and put the levels of silver gold and platinum (or whatever) in an attempt to deceive for the sake of profit is in my opinion reprehensible, yes. It lacks integrity and honesty.
  6. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Interesting thread,... same pellets,... different results.
    This has been my experience as well.
  7. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I have noticed more ash and more fines in my Somerset's this year...They still throw heat like a Sum-of-a-biatch, so I am still very happy with them! Don't have the burning experience of a lot of you guys, but I am happy!
  8. jdempsey

jdempsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    kentucky
    Never used green teams.

Burning somersets from last year. Never a clinker and low ash. Great heat.

Does anyone know if somersets are re bagged under a different name?
  9. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Somerset is a hardwood flooring co from Kentucky,... its the only bag/pellets they make, (or that Ive seen from the company)
  10. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    burning 2010 sets' no ash to speak of
  11. ltlhawk

ltlhawk Member

Loc:
    Pelham, NH
    I would like to give both a try, but still can not find Somersets in my area. Does anyone know who might carry them in Southern NH?
  12. ltlhawk

ltlhawk Member

Loc:
    Pelham, NH
    bummer..well I saw the Green Teams at Lowes the other day.. I will give them a try.
  13. jdempsey

Loc:
    kentucky
    The somerset plant is about an hour drive from my home.

I had in my mind i was gonna drive down there and load the trailer up with some pellets.
    Gave them a call. (This was last year) The kind lady politely explained they do not sale to the general public.

Oh well, Worth a try.
  14. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Going to Ft Knox, Kentucky Next Week to play Army Officer. Small Worl, anything there I gotta see??
  15. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Now what will happen if you leave the pellets outside for a few months such as when some mills and retail location store them in the parking lot? Just for giggles wrap the bag inside another bag or two to simulate more protection.

Eric
  16. jdempsey

Loc:
    kentucky
    Never been to fort knox.

Rumor has it. Theres alot of gold there. Enjoy your stay and have fun.
  17. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Oh i have been to FT Knox 2x but was thinking about the local stuff. People that live wherever know the best stuff. ;)
  18. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    I see you're sitting on 4 ton,.. can you get them locally? .. curious what you pay down there.
  19. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I am runniing Somersets inn my Palazzetti with no ash issues, Firepot stays clean. I guess the stove really makes the difference.
  20. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Pretty much the same here. I get good heat from the GT's but ash is much higher. Summersets are hotter and cleaner. Gt's last a bit longer, But the stat equalizes that.

Coarse I can't get the sets this season and the GT's are over priced at Lowes. Last I knew they were getting $260/ton for the GT platinums. And sets would be $209/ton if I could get em. So money also plays into this, The old dollar factor. Add a little $$ to the $260 and I'd go the Turman route if I could get em! CT pellet is out of stock AFAIK!
  21. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

Yup, for a couple bones more you can bump from gt to some primo fuel..
    GT should have stayed the big fish in the small pond @ lowes. Pricing themselves out of the pond and into pellet house exotic price range.. Can have a skid of cubes or the like for a little bit of 30 pack money more
  22. PoolGuyinCT

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

All Greene teams plat, original etc are now price jacked at lowes, supposedly no increase on Robbie's side.
  23. PoolGuyinCT

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

I don't doubt Robbie at all, i consider him a straight shooter.

Lowes has sunk really low on this one. Gt are priced a 30 pack away from some top notch pellets now. I'm sure gt must be pissed , lowes isn't blowing out the gt stock overnight anymore.
  24. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    Robbie and the GT people are making out a-ok in this for now. I have been getting steady emails from them over the past few months since the prices were jacked up letting me know that Lowes has ordered more pellets from them in my area... so it's not as if the GT people aren't getting any more orders from Lowes. Seems like the inventory must be moving at the higher prices for Lowes to continue to order from GT. It will be interesting to see if Lowes runs the special pricing in August again this year, and what that pricing will be at. So far, HD seems to be taking advantage of the Lowes gamble, I am still seeing Stove Chow and Firesides @ $209/ton around me.
  25. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    My neighbor picked up a ton of 'wood pellets' from our local Lowes two days ago,.not knowing the difference they bought North Americans $209,... they hated them and called the manager,... the manager delivered them a ton of GT's, moved and loaded the remaining 48 bags of North Am in their truck, then moved the GT's and stacked them in the garage for them,.. no charge additional!