Something I don't understand about Stihl vs Husq....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Husky and stihl are very close in price new.

Used is another story. You can pick up equal pro grade huskys for much cheaper than a similar stihl.

Ever suspect there's a reason for that? Why would Husky depreciate so much faster than Stihl? ;hm

I have no horse in the game, as I own one Husky and one Stihl. Beyond that, I've fondled a lot of both at the saw shop, both new and used. I can see why folks like both... Stihl for quality, and Husky to save $50.

A quote from my neighborhood arborist: "We used to use a lot of Husqvarna, and they worked great, but they just didn't hold up. Now we just buy Stihls. They're harder to break." Probably doesn't mean much to a homeowner, who's going to be more careful with his own equipment, but it meant a lot to that guy supplying a crew of men with equipment to use and abuse all day every day.

Here's my thoughts on the great Ford vs. Chevy Stihl vs. Husquvarna debate . . . both companies make great saws. Both saws will work well for what you need. I've run Stihls . . . I've run Huskies -- and both performed equally well for the type of saw (non-professional) that they were.

Honestly . . . if you go with either . . . you cannot go wrong. Oftentimes it's simply a matter of personal choice, finances and the dealer who is closest to you or who has the best service.

Big reason the husky used market is lower in price. Wait for it...........A lot of people think Stihl is better watch ebay for example. Buy husky used and Stihl new best advice I can think of!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from HittenSteel a few years ago and holds true!

Reactions: HittinSteel
My wife's aunt/uncle own a Toyota Tundra and while it certainly is a nice truck, I could never own one. Not for political reasons or national pride and whatnot.... But the damn doors. Closing the doors makes a sound that reminds me of punching a beer can. Just not what I'd expect from a vehicle in the $40-$50K range.

yes but a top quality beer can !:)

Ever suspect there's a reason for that? Why would Husky depreciate so much faster than Stihl? ;hm

I have no horse in the game, as I own one Husky and one Stihl. Beyond that, I've fondled a lot of both at the saw shop, both new and used. I can see why folks like both... Stihl for quality, and Husky to save $50.

A quote from my neighborhood arborist: "We used to use a lot of Husqvarna, and they worked great, but they just didn't hold up. Now we just buy Stihls. They're harder to break." Probably doesn't mean much to a homeowner, who's going to be more careful with his own equipment, but it meant a lot to that guy supplying a crew of men with equipment to use and abuse all day every day.

There certainly is a reason, but it has nothing to do with quality or longevity ( I'm only speaking of the pro grade saws). Stihl has an awesome marketing system. They convinced the majority of consumers they are the best (whether it is true or not doesn't matter).

Reactions: smokinj
Price difference for Husq to Stihl around here isnt that great. Pretty much even.

Except as noted above. Compare the cost of a 59cc 562XP and a 59cc MS362. Husqvarna is More there. Otherwise, Stihl may be $50 more for other comparable models.

Status
Not open for further replies.