Something is killing my hickory trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
One year the tree was apparently healthy, the next it was dead. While splitting the wood this week, I noticed that there are many jet-black dots (holes the size of a pinhead) in the sides of the splits. These are not on the outside surface of the tree, but on the face of the wood after it has been split.

I didn't think to get photos before leaving the cabin this morning, but will get some on my next visit. In the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone on this site has an "aha" moment.

I noticed that there is another dead hickory 15-20 feet from where this one was. I found the first tree dead last spring, now the new one is dead this spring.

One year the tree was apparently healthy, the next it was dead. While splitting the wood this week, I noticed that there are many jet-black dots (holes the size of a pinhead) in the sides of the splits. These are not on the outside surface of the tree, but on the face of the wood after it has been split.

I didn't think to get photos before leaving the cabin this morning, but will get some on my next visit. In the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone on this site has an "aha" moment.

I noticed that there is another dead hickory 15-20 feet from where this one was. I found the first tree dead last spring, now the new one is dead this spring.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestHealth/documents/HickoryMortalityFactsheet.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.