Something is wrong with me...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItNatural

Aug 25, 2009
Western Conn
I split just about 2 cords by hand since November, and the only reason I haven't finished all of it is because......
I don't want it to be over!!!
I find it so relaxing to go out to the shed after a day at work (I'm a teacher) or when I get in a row with my girl, or when I just feel like it. I'm not looking forward to this stuff all being split. I've had my eyes open for some new stuff to scrounge, but I just love the whole process.
Maybe it's just because I don't "HAVE" to do it? But in all honesty it's probably because it's a good stress reliever.
Well, in any event. That was my little rant... Gotta find more wood.

You Know with all my son,s equipment,,, forwarders,wood pross, etc, etc, I still love doing my own little thing with my little splitter, and massey tractor, and hauling it home on my pickup instead of one of their big trucks. I just love the process myself. Besides,,, it keeps me busy.. winters are short here in NC.

rsgBJJburner said:
I split just about 2 cords by hand since November, and the only reason I haven't finished all of it is because......
I find it so relaxing to go out to the shed after a day at work (I'm a teacher) or when I get in a row with my girl, or when I just feel like it. I'm not looking forward to this stuff all being split. I've had my eyes open for some new stuff to scrounge, but I just love the whole process.
Maybe it's just because I don't "HAVE" to do it? But in all honesty it's probably because it's a good stress reliever.
I feel the same way about splitting by hand. It's my favorite part of the process. I make firewood all year long, and I view the cutting, hauling, stacking, and burning/selling/giving away as just ways to get to split more! That's all fun too, but not nearly as fun as splitting. So many times I read about faster ways to do it, and better/easier/lighter splitting tools, and each time I think to myself "why would I want one of my favorite things to get done quicker".

It's a great stress reliever

quads said:
rsgBJJburner said:
I feel the same way about splitting by hand. It's my favorite part of the process. I make firewood all year long, and I view the cutting, hauling, stacking, and burning/selling/giving away as just ways to get to split more! That's all fun too, but not nearly as fun as splitting. So many times I read about faster ways to do it, and better/easier/lighter splitting tools, and each time I think to myself "why would I want one of my favorite things to get done quicker".

Quads - you're the ultimate for daily woodcutting.
rsgBJJburner - you've got to start scrounging or buying 8' or tree length stuff, so you can spend more time processing it. If your neighbours start complaining
that you've got 5+ years supply - start selling it!
Happy burning!

Splitting wood indeed can be a great stress reliever and I did that for many, many moons. However, sometimes out bodies won't let us do what we once could do with joy. That was difficult for me to take when it happened but I have learned to live with it. Fortunately I can still get out and cut (my favorite part) wood, even if at times I can work only an hour or even less. I've learned to do what I can and accept the other part. The same goes for splitting as for cutting. I do whatever I can and I now do it with the hydraulic. Stacking takes a bit of time because of all the bending but I can still get it done, albeit slowly.

I say to those who enjoy this work to enjoy it as long as you possibly can. Do what makes you feel good. And especially for those who work indoors, getting out there splitting or cutting indeed might be the ultimate stress reliever. Maybe if our so-called leaders of this society would understand this and dole out some sentences for some young folks to do this sort of work we might be a better society for it.

I emphasize with rsgBJJburner and find the whole process therapeutic. Of course we haven't pushed ourselves since the early 80's when we use to rent a splitter for the weekend. Just nibble away at it.

I agree that I hate to run out of wood to process. What if i want to split some rounds but don't have any? This year I am lucky to have two or three cords laying around waiting to buck and split, but I am still looking for more, just in case. At this point, i am collecting wood just to stack it - I am way ahead for burning.

Seems perfectly normal to me .... nothing wrong with you at all

rsgBJJburner said:

The answer is in the rant. But,.....you knew that. Sanctuary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXUCVUui554&feature=related

I just spent half a day Sunday restacking about 3/4 cord that recently fell over. I hate sloppy wood piles!!!

Looks much better now. Have it stacked on 14' 2x4's put together and set on its' side allowing the wood to be 4 inches off the ground.. Have braced this rack better. Previous attempts ended with the 2x4's folding over from lack of bracing. This go around, I nailed 6 additional 2x4's along the 14 ft.

I am the same, I love my Monster Maul, it is my workout routine where I am actually doing something productive. Guys can lift weights and in the end, have not done anything productive. I can see my results in my stacks and in my HH. As long as I can do it, I am doing it. I have bought all the other wood burning toys, but I am saving the hydraulic splitter for later in life. I understand where both Quads and Backwoods Savage are coming from. I remember hearing that President Reagan used to split wood as a stress reliever and for excercise, so it made it all the way to the White House.

I've gotta be honest, I like stacking it too- I like piecing it together so it holds perfectly and choosing big pieces to go on the ends and the sides, looking for straighter pieces to level it out, or two complimentarily uneven pieces to straighten out the middle- I think I just get too into it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this- but there's something very aesthetically pleasing about a neatly stacked wood pile- they look... pretty.

Backwoods Savage said:
Splitting wood indeed can be a great stress reliever and I did that for many, many moons. However, sometimes out bodies won't let us do what we once could do with joy. That was difficult for me to take when it happened but I have learned to live with it. Fortunately I can still get out and cut (my favorite part) wood, even if at times I can work only an hour or even less. I've learned to do what I can and accept the other part. The same goes for splitting as for cutting. I do whatever I can and I now do it with the hydraulic. Stacking takes a bit of time because of all the bending but I can still get it done, albeit slowly.

I say to those who enjoy this work to enjoy it as long as you possibly can. Do what makes you feel good. And especially for those who work indoors, getting out there splitting or cutting indeed might be the ultimate stress reliever. Maybe if our so-called leaders of this society would understand this and dole out some sentences for some young folks to do this sort of work we might be a better society for it.

Dennis, your words hit home with me. I work in the home, indoors in my wood shop. But right outside the door was always wood to be split. When things were going wrong on a project, I'd just go outside and split for half an hour or so and get rejuvenated. Sadly, I can no longer do much myself either. Haven't even hit 60 yet, but the body's pretty banged up. Couple car accidents, severe carpal tunnel, bad lower back, rotator cuff problems, too much extra baggage I can't seem to get rid of. Then a couple years ago I hurt my right eye in a shop accident and now have bad depth perception, so swinging an axe or maul is pretty scary. I really miss it. That feeling of instant gratification with every drop of the axe (well, almost every drop) as the bit sinks into the stump with a most satisfying feeling. Never get tired of it.

I made my boys help with all my splitting in the old days. Builds character as they say. They've moved on to their own lives, but we get together a few times a year and split and stack and sip a few microbrews, just for the hell of it.

Yup, I love the splitting and stacking also, and I worry about replacement when my stack of rounds runs dry as well. After sitting in my cube at work all day, splitting brings me back to life.

seems normal to me, lol. I'm right there with ya , buddy.

rsgBJJburner said:
I've gotta be honest, I like stacking it too- I like piecing it together so it holds perfectly and choosing big pieces to go on the ends and the sides, looking for straighter pieces to level it out, or two complimentarily uneven pieces to straighten out the middle- I think I just get too into it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this- but there's something very aesthetically pleasing about a neatly stacked wood pile- they look... pretty.

Ditto, I find stacking to be the most theraputic. I turns into a puzzle for me. My wife however thinks I'm a Loon for not just "throwing" the splits into the cribs.....She will never understand!

Yup. Completely normal. I spend about an hour or so any day that I have time. I have been lucky to keep enough rounds on hand for the last year or so that there is always something waiting to be split. I might even be a little behind now. The snow and holidays kept me away from splitting for the last month or so. I miss it. The splitting seems to keep me on a more even keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.