Sometimes I get lucky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
When I cut wood at where I do my cutting, slash is always an issue. I cut to about 1 to 2" diameter but still end up having to haul it and pile it somewhere. This takes up lot of time but it comes with the deal and I am happy to do it to get the wood. Cutting before leaf out saves a lot of time compared to dealing with leaves but it still takes awhile. Generally the approach is the owner identifies what is in his way and I deal with it. He is getting ready for a power line that runs along a driveway cut into a steep hill side. There were five maples on the upslope side of the driveway all either straight or with slight lean downslope. He has some low spots on the downslope side of the driveway that he uses to dump slash to reduce erosion of side of the road bed. I dropped five maples ranging from about 14" inches to 10" down across the driveway, on four of them the crowns landed right in slash pile with the fifth one about 10 feet way. The only thing in the driveway were straight poles with a couple of small branches. Once he saw them on the ground he did grab two sawlogs but there was still plenty of nice straight rounds. I just opened up the driveway initially as I am limited on what I could haul but expect this will end up about 1.5 to 2 cords when I clean it all up. He had a friend with a truck and combined we hauled about 3/4 of a cord home. The next day I got the Fiskars out and in about 4 hours had it split and stacked. It definitely makes up for the times when I am tight woods and the trees hang up and then I have to haul it by hand to somewhere I can drive to.

Status
Not open for further replies.