Sometimes it's difficult to change things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
I had Thanksgiving dinner at a dear friend's home, a couple I've known for over a decade. After dinner, we all went to the living room, a very comfortably-appointed room where his 1980's Coalbrookdale Little Wenlock was burning (yes, he's an English expat). It's a teeny little stove but is the perfect size for the room. I've enjoyed it many times before, but not until last night did I sit in the chair closest to the stove and look at the installation and their burning habits in detail.

Overview: The house has excellent southern exposure, with 8-9 tall double-glazed windows and brick floors to store the heat; well-executed 1980's direct-gain solar techniques. The chimney is 12 feet from stove outlet to top. The Little Wenlock is designed to burn 10" long wood. He borrows my brushes and rods twice a year to clean his chimney, so I know the setup produces plenty of creosote.

First thing I noticed is, the stove was burning with the door cracked open. I asked why, and was told "It's the only way the wood will fit, and besides, it seems to burn better that way." I didn't press the issue, but that got me looking at other factors. I looked in the woodbox (he buys from a commercial wood seller), and all the wood was 15" long. He refilled the stove with a single split at a time, standing on end, wedged between the door and the baffle.

After I while, I noticed my feet and legs were feeling cold. I felt the floor, and it indeed felt quite cold. Odd, since the bricks were supposed to store heat. Looking around, I noticed one of the windows was cracked open. Walked over, and indeed a steady stream of cold air was pouring in, as one would expect. I asked about it, he said "The stove burns better if it's open, so we keep it open".

Now I know this guy well, he's a close friend. But he's also a stodgy old Englishman who is very set in his ways and looks down his nose at the notion of improving almost anything. Despite this, I explained to him how all of these things were interrelated, and how much more comfortable his space would be, with less wood burned, if only he added 3 feet of Class A to the top of his stack, and cut his wood down to fit his stove properly. I wasn't surprised when he got very defensive, making silly, irrational excuses for keeping things the way they were, after all, it's working fine...

This wasn't the first time I'd gently pointed out such a thing to him. As usual, his wife listens carefully, sees the truth of what I'm saying, would very much like to make the necessary changes, but then slumps back into the couch when he slams the door shut on changing anything. Sigh.

Other than that, it was a lovely evening with great conversation.

Some folks get so set in their ways it is no use confusing them with the facts because their mind is made up.

Did you perhaps explain that is why his chimney gets so dirty? How about more wood usage? How about that nasty draft? It sounds like a wood burning nightmare.

Yes, I explained it all carefully. He's got a silly excuse for everything, even the nasty draft. He knows I'm pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, and that I'm telling him the truth. He's just one of those types that won't change something unless he absolutely needs to.

I bet mostly he did not want to admit to not having a clue running that stove.

I think that he, like most people, are satisfied if something merely works; they don't know what to expect, and don't make the connection between seemingly unrelated factors that point to problems elsewhere. If cracking open a window stops the stove from smoking, that, in their mind, is a solution, and not evidence of a problem!

precaud said:
I wasn't surprised when he got very defensive, making silly, irrational excuses for keeping things the way they were, after all, it's working fine...

I'm picturing a Monty Python skit...
"Right. First off, we cut the wood to exactly twice the correct length. Then, once the first half has burned, the remaining half of the wood is precisely the desired length, thereby cutting in half the time required to cut the wood in half by letting the stove do half the work."

branchburner said:
precaud said:
I wasn't surprised when he got very defensive, making silly, irrational excuses for keeping things the way they were, after all, it's working fine...

I'm picturing a Monty Python skit...
"Right. First off, we cut the wood to exactly twice the correct length. Then, once the first half has burned, the remaining half of the wood is precisely the desired length, thereby cutting in half the time required to cut the wood in half by letting the stove do half the work."
LMAO!

Sounds like nostalgia coupled with inertia. Humans are lazy creatures of habit.

Definitely not a hearth.com member. I have a friend like that. I give advice to him on home projects and he does not listen. When I see the end results it aggravates me to no end. I go home and complain to the wife and she just tells me not to worry about it as I get all worked up. As I like to say about his interior projects, "it looks good from my house".

I sometimes think he does it on purpose so I jump in and and do half the work for him...

[quote author="precaud"

Precaud I have a friend that likes his wood 6-8 months seasoned and thinks that any wood seasoned for a year will burn to fast. I cut some dead standing the other day (bone dry) and gave it to him so yesterday I see him and he tells me how much heat it gave off and he was surprized.

I was going to ask if he would get his wood and let it season longer but I knew the answer.

zap

My neighbor is similar. Likes to put a single split into his stove at a time. Burns it down with the air wide open. Repeat. He seems happy so all is good.

My brother is the same way. Burns green wood, has to leave the door cracked most of the time, has single wall pipe all the way and has to clean it at least once a month. he says " I've stayed warm for 13 years this way"..

fjord said:
BeGreen said:
Sounds like nostalgia coupled with inertia. Humans are lazy creatures of habit.

True BG, in many so true.

May we kindly use a mirror ?

Definitely, I'm an expert! Especially as far as cleaning out the garage. But I do change stoves only with slightly less frequency than precaud. :)

BeGreen said:
But I do change stoves only with slightly less frequency than precaud. :)

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Actually, unless a Xeoos Twinfire (or something equally cool) comes my way at a price I can't resist, there will probably not be any musical stoves being played here this season. I even passed on a brand new Nestor Martin R33 for $500 last week. Would have had to drive nearly 500 miles (across TX) to get it, and wasn't in the mood for that. Helluva deal, though.

Anyway, these two stoves are really well suited for their jobs, so I'm happy.

precaud said:
BeGreen said:
But I do change stoves only with slightly less frequency than precaud. :)

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Actually, unless a Xeoos Twinfire (or something equally cool) comes my way at a price I can't resist, there will probably not be any musical stoves being played here this season. I even passed on a brand new Nestor Martin R33 for $500 last week. Would have had to drive nearly 500 miles (across TX) to get it, and wasn't in the mood for that. Helluva deal, though.

Anyway, these two stoves are really well suited for their jobs, so I'm happy.

I'm looking forward to next winter where I won't be installing another stove for the first time in three years. Unless I find a great deal to replace the Intrepid or Vigilant...

:)

My father-in-law burns huge splits one at a time and starves them for air, just smoldering them. He heats over 2000 ft ² that way with very small amounts of wood, but the proof is in the black pudding that goops off his chimney! He has his wood stove exhausting into the same flue as his furnace also! His stove is thermostatically controlled and is kept on the lowest setting which works because the cracked glass in the front of the stove lets just enough air to keep the smolder alive. :grrr: He says I piss through wood, though. I told him on Thanksgiving that his set up wouldn't pass code and he said it had passed inspection. Maybe twenty years ago it passed but that doesn't mean his insurance company would give him a dime if his house ever burns down! He showed me his build up by openning the T cap where a barometric damper sits when he burn coal in the stove. The thing was oozing black marshmallow fluff!! :ahhh: "It was tough cleanning the pipes" he said. I replied: "Yeah it must have been tough it looked like a sticky situation in there!" To which he stated:"I burned it hot for a while to get it hardened, it made it easier." I'll stick to my hot fires and burning through at least twice as much wood, thank you.

BrowningBAR said:
I'm looking forward to next winter where I won't be installing another stove for the first time in three years. Unless I find a great deal to replace the Intrepid or Vigilant...

:)

Yes, one must remain ever vigilant to new stove opportunities...

Status
Not open for further replies.