Sometimes less is more - OR - How I came to love the Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Oct 5, 2011
Waupaca, Wi
So I finally joined the ranks of those who have finally accepted the new stove technology into their lives.
I went from the Big Buck 2800 - A wood/coal stove so darn big that they didn't even bother to get a UL listing -
To the wonderful Englander 30-NC. It is easily my best spent $900 ever.

I heated all last winter with that Buck stove successfully, but I was either loading that stove every 4 or 5 hours, or being *THAT* guy in the neighborhood that stinks up the whole place. In addition, the temperature swings where enormous, ranging from less-than-shorts hot to hardly knowing it was running.
Suffice it to say, this 30 burns all night on PINE, is more controlled, and uses a crapton less wood all the while. Not to mention I can see the beautiful flames too!!!

If this isn't the best buy stove there is out there, I don't know what is.
As a fun side fact - I'm willing to bet good money that Englander is heavier than the Buck be a decent margin.
I have to say - I would have NEVER expected anything from Home Depot to be worth the space it takes up, yet thanks to review after positive review from you folks here, I have been made a believer! (Not necessarily in Home Depot, but rather the Englander brand...)

Attachments

• S6300072.jpg
    S6300072.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 559
  • Picture 739.jpg
    Picture 739.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 585
That's is one big ass firebox with that Buck.

Good to hear the 30 is working out for you.

Hey Agent,
I also got my 30 last year at the HD. I am still learning the stove and compared to the old stove i inherited when i purchased our home, it is a big improvement, specially for 600 dollars. It has its idiosyncrasies, but a good stove for the price. I get nice overnight, which is very much welcomed from the old stove which gave me a few hours. Enjoy it in good health.

Don't know if I have given you a shirt. But after climbing in that Buck, you need a clean one.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 460
Oh geez...now we have to add "crapton" to our list of how firewood is measured. How many face cords in a crapton? Ricks? Rick

OH NO, not the SHIRT. now you are one of use NC30-ers. Welcome.

SlyFerret said:
Is that a US crapton? Or a metric crapton?

-SF

US. If it was metric, it'd be craptonne.

Hey-O!!
Nothing like a quality shirt to make the whole stove buying and installing experience truly worthwhile!
And honestly, aside from those living in America's Hat, does anybody take metric measurements seriously?

Agent said:
...aside from those living in America's Hat, does anybody take metric measurements seriously?

Nah. Well, except for engineers and some other geeks. Oh, and scientists. And about everyone working in research, development, design and manufacturing of everything. Oh yeah...and pretty much the whole rest of the world. (The United States is the only industrialized country in the world that has not adopted the metric system). Eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

Nothing wrong w/ enjoying some wood heat.

Well done.

pen

Love the stove wall!
Two questions.

1. Is that galvanized or Stainless steel that the stove pipe is tying into where the 6" turns into 8"?

2. Is the stove sitting on wood planks or wood plank floor?

Really love that big stone on the wall!!!

GREAT stove! That's what I installed in my last home and LOVED it. I hope that you'll be as happy as we were with it. I had it in the basement and it kept the upstairs (a ranch) 70* with the exception of the bedroom, which was probably about 64*. We loved it and miss it dearly. Good luck to you!

That 8" pipe is in fact neither. It's just regular stove pipe that got a little... hot. :D When I loaded the old stove with pallet pieces for quick burns, there was a very fine line between jet engine take-off and nothing but smoke.
Also, the stove is sitting on the same rock as covers the wall. It's just a bit dusty and at a bad angle. There's a more comprehensive picture of the hearth area on my original thread with the Buck stove.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80380/

fossil said:
SlyFerret said:
Is that a US crapton? Or a metric crapton?

-SF

US. If it was metric, it'd be craptonne.

But then we need to know, is it a dictionary Crapton?

Is it a college crapton?

We need more details..

fossil said:
Agent said:
...aside from those living in America's Hat, does anybody take metric measurements seriously?

Nah. Well, except for engineers and some other geeks. Oh, and scientists. And about everyone working in research, development, design and manufacturing of everything. Oh yeah...and pretty much the whole rest of the world. (The United States is the only industrialized country in the world that has not adopted the metric system). Eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

Dead on, ole' boy! Cheers!

Congrats, I am on my 4th season with my 30, first 2 were learning, last 2 have been very enjoyable (because of very dry wood)!! Hmmmm, never offered a Tee shirt.

Attachments

• Englander.jpeg
    Englander.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 250
ajhenglander said:
Congrats, I am on my 4th season with my 30, first 2 were learning, last 2 have been very enjoyable (because of very dry wood)!! Hmmmm, never offered a Tee shirt.

Back in January of 2009 when ya got the stove the shirts were on virtual back order. :lol:

Here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 203
BrotherBart said:
ajhenglander said:

Back in January of 2009 when ya got the stove the shirts were on virtual back order. :lol:

Here's yer shirt.

At some point, I am actually going to make that shirt and mail it to you.

BrowningBAR said:

Back in July 2008 one afternoon I came in and checked the forum and enjoyed folks throwing rocks at the looks of the 30 about as much as I cared to hear. Whipped up the shirt.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:

Back in July 2008 one afternoon I came in and checked the forum and enjoyed folks throwing rocks at the looks of the 30 about as much as I cared to hear. Whipped up the shirt.
Now I know why you poke at the Elm lolollll. Coarse you probably did your share of poking at the BK too.

Status
Not open for further replies.