Sometimes you have to just say no.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
I have a very good relationship with a local tree service. Over the past 2 years they have brought me so many great logs for firewood. They also drop off wood chips. I now have a side gig selling chips and make a couple thousand dollars a year from chips. Problem is you can have too much of a good thing. The chips are still selling well, but I have no desire to get into the firewood business. I already have 5 years worth of split, stacked and dried firewood for personal use. I just don't need anymore wood now. I am going to have to tell the tree guys to stop dropping off logs. It is a shame, and I don't want to ruin a good thing. Hopefully they will continue to drop off chips and bring logs again when I do need them

What a problem to have right?

P1050300.jpgP1050301.jpgP1050302.jpgP1050303.jpg

I mean sell the logs. Not processed firewood.
You have a great supply arrangement, don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Ah, I understand. Yes, posting an ad for the logs might make sense.

Main thing is I don't want to mess up my current arrangement. The tree service is happy that they can drop off logs or chips anytime they want with no notice. Works well for me and them. I just need to be sure and always have a spot for them to deliver. It is a very sweet arrangement.

Reactions: Beer Belly
I have a similar situation with a local tree service company. I’m only sitting on 4 years of wood, but running out of space to store it all. Hate to turn away good, free hardwood or worse turn it away and not be able to get it back. Delicate balance at play.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Post the logs you don’t need free for others to pick up. You can turn that on and off as needed and still get your chips.

Post the logs you don’t need free for others to pick up. You can turn that on and off as needed and still get your chips.
That is a solid plan. Only issue is how people will load the logs? I can use my tractor, but that is not something I want to do free. I guess if the logs are free, loading is not my problem.

That is a solid plan. Only issue is how people will load the logs? I can use my tractor, but that is not something I want to do free. I guess if the logs are free, loading is not my problem.
Our local tree guy has been gifting me stuff as well-- it seems the new homeowners moving in are tree-haters, and non-firewood people.

So they are taking down a lot of trees because the leaves are "messy" (as one of them told me), but I don't know if it is a cultural or an age thing (they are raising families, so a generation younger than me and my friends). I wonder if we are a bunch of dinos--still willing to put in the work?

As for the log problem, maybe you would do well if you bucked them up and sold them?--I know that every time I fire up the saw when there are neighbors close by, I'll get requests from occasional burners for some small rounds that they can deal with. They could self-load, which gets you off the hook of loading logs into someone else's vehicle.

You got a good thing going. I would try and do all I can not to mess that up.

Sell the logs, charge a $10 premium to load with your tractor to cover wear and tear

Get a bandsaw mill and cut up select species. Sell the slabs/pen blanks, etc for real good money.

Get a bandsaw mill and cut up select species. Sell the slabs/pen blanks, etc for real good money.
In my neck of the woods, the tree trimmers cannot get rid of the logs to sawmills. Of course the bigger mills need ISO harvested wood. Most won't buy from non approved sources. The small mills will not cut 'yard wood' trees. Nails, screw eyes, etc.

I did help a guy assemble a circular mill. He was getting started and would spend way too much time with a metal detector checking out yard logs. Large nails and a bandsaw mill blade can be dangerous. Any mill will need work on the blade after an encounter with a nail.