Soon to be score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Had quite a bit of heavy winds come through a few days ago, and knocked down/uprooted some trees at my sister-in-laws place.
This is a big Popple (poplar) that's leaning into a pine. The one to the right has been dead for a while, and there's another on the ground between those.
There's another to the left that got taken down when she had the survey done last year. Several pine in the side yard down too.
Lots of dead/down oak and maple in the back approx. 8 acres too. I've got the go ahead to go and take whatever, but I'll be doing some for her as well to get her a couple years head. She plans to retire in a couple years, so the timing is right.
The other pic is a tree in the front yard that dropped a branch, no idea what kind of tree it is though. Might be some kind of apple.

Attachments

• IMG_4710resize.jpg
    IMG_4710resize.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_4709resize.jpg
    IMG_4709resize.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 282
PapaDave it looks like you'll have some work for a while, nice score.

zap

If the "apple" tree you mention is the one with the bench in the pic . . . I wouldn't count on making any apple pies any time soon. Those trees do not look anything like apple trees.

Jake, more like a crabapple. That would take an awful lot of those little suckers to make a pie! :ahhh: I really don't know. I'll try to take pic in the spring, and will take one up close when I cut. Maybe someone can ID for me. I really don't care,.....it'll burn once dried.
zap, I've been wanting to talk to her about this for a while, and since she was here for the weekend, got that done. Now to make the time to get cuttin'.
I'm not in a great rush, since I've got 3 years done this year (FINALLY), but will get over there hopefully before the snow starts flying. If not, spring is just around the corner. :coolsmile: It's going to require the hauling of all my equipment over there, but her place is only about 2.5 miles away. She bought a little 14" saw (Poulan, I think) last year and still hasn't even taken it out of the packaging. I think she's afraid of it. We'll have to fix that.
It'll be nice for limbing.

Dave, it is still probably going to cost you less than buying the log loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.