SOOO disapointed with pellet quality this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay H

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2009
Central Oklahoma
How come we can get someone to ship some quality pellets down south? I know shipping cost play a large factor but aybe put em on a barg down the Mississippi or something for cheaper shipping.
This years pellets are not woth using at all...no heat from them and lots of ash, LOTS. Pennington, for the last 8 years was about as good as it got and this year Pennington has changed their recipe and are blending pine in with the oak and i think also some oak bark and other trash They put out very little heat and i have had to use my propane furnace more this year. Its not even that cold this year - very mild compared to last year. I then tried HEAT LLC and they were crap also. Then found some SUTTONS and they are only marginally better and smell of pine as well.
I basically wasted my money using the pellet stove this year.
There is definately a market for quality pellets in OK and my Hearth store would gladly work a deal I am sure if someone could figure out a way to get em here.
Something has to change for next season. I would love to see some BAREFOOTs next year even if i had to pay a little more.

Go visit a pellet dealer and have them look into the Somersets. Your probably too far for some of the other brands But the Somersets might be a reasonably close good pellet for you. Don't forget most of these pellet places just think a pellet is a pellet! Some will need some training to get it right. Specially if they do not burn pellets themselves! Have em come hang here we'll learn em some tricks! ;-)

j-takeman said:
Go visit a pellet dealer and have them look into the Somersets. Your probably too far for some of the other brands But the Somersets might be a reasonably close good pellet for you. Don't forget most of these pellet places just think a pellet is a pellet! Some will need some training to get it right. Specially if they do not burn pellets themselves! Have em come hang here we'll learn em some tricks! ;-)

Somersets are out of Kentucky and are the best pellet in my area.

Do you know any other pellet burners? Maybe you could have a truckload brought in? 22 tons split between a couple people? Might be worth looking into?

That goes for any pellet brand out there. The shipping/freight is gonna be what really hikes up the price.

Definitely talk to the dealers in the area. Tell them your thoughts. The more people (pellet burners) you know, the bigger the influence it may have on his decision.

I dont have a great selection here in Ohio, but some of what we have, are worth there weight.

Somersets...okay, I'll remember that, thanks. I have looked into a truckload deal but I only know a few other pellet burners...2 to be exact and I cant store that many pellets.
Any dealers want to quote me a price for a truckload of Somersets in case I can find a few more peeps to buy in?
PM me with any quotes. I can think of 3 people who may buy in (including myself) and i think if I could find 2-3 more that would work. I could only store 4-5 tons because of space so I would need 5-6 people i think to take the rest. If I could somehome stack pallets, I could store more than that.
I sure would like to try the somersets before i bought a truckload but I have never seen any...
And why is it people are telling me that pine pellets burn hotter than oak? Thats just goes against everything I've been taught.

New England area is loaded with pellet burners, Probably why we get all kinds to pick and choose from. So its strength in numbers.

You could run a local add looking for fellow burners?

Call Southern Indiana Hardwoods... haven't seen 'em here this year but they make a pretty good pellet and will sell direct.

Clay H ,

That's very disappointing if best there is pennnington. Those are awful !
Somersets are some of the best I have had the pleasure to burn, hope you can grab them.

Maybe you could get your stove dealer, lumber comapny or a feed store to go in on your co-op?

Clay H said:
How come we can get someone to ship some quality pellets down south? I know shipping cost play a large factor but aybe put em on a barg down the Mississippi or something for cheaper shipping.
This years pellets are not woth using at all...no heat from them and lots of ash, LOTS. Pennington, for the last 8 years was about as good as it got and this year Pennington has changed their recipe and are blending pine in with the oak and i think also some oak bark and other trash They put out very little heat and i have had to use my propane furnace more this year. Its not even that cold this year - very mild compared to last year. I then tried HEAT LLC and they were crap also. Then found some SUTTONS and they are only marginally better and smell of pine as well.
There is definately a market for quality pellets in OK and my Hearth store would gladly work a deal I am sure if someone could figure out a way to get em here.
Something has to change for next season. I would love to see some BAREFOOTs next year even if i had to pay a little more.

I will totally agree with you that in our part of the country there are really no GOOD choices. I've burned different brands the 5 seasons I've been burning and most part see the same worthless brands showing up. This year I did buy SIH and found them decent with heat but lots of ash with brown clumps. I've done lots of searching from the web, calling every place that possible could carry pellets, farm stores, and co-ops. My search has came up with some name brands but local to this area of the country and some pellets that are produced at local feed pellet mills during their off season. Where in Oklahoma you live?

Don't know where you live in OK, but I pulled this from Rocky Mountain Pellet's web page.

Oklahoma

All County Tractor
23000 S Hwy 88
Claremore, OK 74019
918-857-8108

Giblet Stove Sales
1820 S Highway 183
Clinton, OK 73601
580-323-8411

Sutherlands Lumber & Home
1011 S.E. First Street
Lawton, OK. 73501
580-248-7437

I have been burning their pellets for about 4 years, and love them.

Mark

Clay H said:

It really sucks that Pennington - the ONE pellet that Walmart carries and is pretty much available nationwide - is one of the worst. I've burned them many times simply because it's convenient for me to pick up 10-15 bags at a time, versus getting a ton of Hamers Hot Ones or Greene Gold from one of the dealers in town.

It would be great if Walmart with their huge purchasing power could get with one of the super premium manufacturers - like Blazer pellets in Oregon -- and make a deal with them for nationwide distribution. It would get high quality, reliable pellets to people in all areas of the country, not just the Northeast and Northwest regions.

And you know what? This really showcases the opportunity for a business that could produce a hot, high-quality, super low ash pellet in enough quantity for nationwide distribution. I presume the reason that this hasn't happened yet is because none of the companies that make the super high quality pellets have the capacity to produce enough pellets to satisfy demand for a national chain like Walmart.

All County Tractor
23000 S Hwy 88
Claremore, OK 74019
918-857-8108

Sutherlands lumber sells Rockies for $6.50 a bag... That's really high for this area... average price is $3.70-$4.00 per bag...and the all county tractor in claremore is bout 25 miles from me only takes pre orders at the beginning of the season... So he doesn't carry them regularly... But if I remember he wanted $300 per ton

sorry, havent checked back in a while, guess my email notification wasnt turned on.
I live SW of OKC and I buy pellets from a place in Moore, OK where i bought my stove. They have the best prices at $5.00/bag on whatever brand they are selling. Lows, Atwoods and Home Depot are about the only other local pellet dealers I have local to me. Our Wal Marts do not carry pellets that I am aware of but then again, I try to avoid going there. keep the ideas coming, i have to do something different before next season. This season looks to be almost over and I have 20 more bags of these mediocre Sutton Pellets to get me through to spring. A lot of 50s and 60s in the 10 day forcast but some cold nights so i wont use many this next week.

Zackdog said:
Don't know where you live in OK, but I pulled this from Rocky Mountain Pellet's web page.

Oklahoma

All County Tractor
23000 S Hwy 88
Claremore, OK 74019
918-857-8108

Giblet Stove Sales
1820 S Highway 183
Clinton, OK 73601
580-323-8411

1011 S.E. First Street
Lawton, OK. 73501
580-248-7437

Mark
I think Giblet Stoves is where my uncle bought his stove at, I will have to remember this and check with them. Thanks. They are a little drive away but not more than an hour I dont think. Also Lawton isnt too far. I will definately try the rocky mountains.
Just called Sutherlands and Rocky Mountains are $5.80 a bag... a little higher than Im used to paying but i they are quality, I'll do that. They said they carried Patterson pellets also which i am not familiar with.

Clay maybe contact Somerset directly, and maybe they can give you a local distributor, or maybe they have another idea how you can get some.

http://somersetpellets.com/home/

Just a thought,

1D

1Dtml said:
Clay maybe contact Somerset directly, and maybe they can give you a local distributor, or maybe they have another idea how you can get some.

http://somersetpellets.com/home/

Just a thought,

1D
Thanks I will!

EDIT: I just emailed them, will see what they say soon I hope.

Clay H said:
Zackdog said:

Oklahoma

All County Tractor
23000 S Hwy 88
Claremore, OK 74019
918-857-8108

Giblet Stove Sales
1820 S Highway 183
Clinton, OK 73601
580-323-8411

1011 S.E. First Street
Lawton, OK. 73501
580-248-7437

Mark
I think Giblet Stoves is where my uncle bought his stove at, I will have to remember this and check with them. Thanks. They are a little drive away but not more than an hour I dont think. Also Lawton isnt too far. I will definately try the rocky mountains.
Just called Sutherlands and Rocky Mountains are $5.80 a bag... a little higher than Im used to paying but i they are quality, I'll do that. They said they carried Patterson pellets also which i am not familiar with.

The sutherlands in tulsa are selling the rockies for $6.50 a bag and i looked the patterson pellets and they are a yellow pine pellet. I know the futher you go SW oklahoma the choices are few in between. My average is from $3.60-$4.50 or so a bag.

Wow! From the discussion on this subject, I guess we really are better off here pellet wise. I can think of at least 12 places to buy pellets within 10 miles of my home. Our WalMart carries MWP. I could get them there, but my back and I prefer to give the business to SIB who neatly puts them in my garage. I think only Sam's club is stocking Penningtons, and there I haven't seen but a half ton on the floor and not a good price. Pennington should stick to bird food and grass seed.

Lineman30 said:
The sutherlands in tulsa are selling the rockies for $6.50 a bag and i looked the patterson pellets and they are a yellow pine pellet. I know the futher you go SW oklahoma the choices are few in between. My average is from $3.60-$4.50 or so a bag.
I think I'll run down to lawton and get a few bags of rocky mountains to try so i will kniow if I want to buy them n bulk next year. Lawton is 70 miles and Tulsa is 120 so next year I can see what kind of deal they will both make me on a 2 ton purchase and then decide who will get my bidness. Sometimes I have gotten a 10% discount for buying a ton or 2.
Will be nice if Somerset contact me and is willing to talk to some retailers here more local to me.

Too bad Eureka's are not east- 2 years running and they've been good running pellets in my M55. Consistent heat, good burn, I guess okay on the ash... I like them.

Threerun said:
Too bad Eureka's are not east- 2 years running and they've been good running pellets in my M55. Consistent heat, good burn, I guess okay on the ash... I like them.

In the mid 2k era, Walmart and Agway used to sell them in CT. Heck of a pellet! Now there are more mills over here and its cheaper on shipping. So we don't see that much western stuff these days.

I bought a ton of Lignetics this year after buying 7 tons of them last year. First thing I noticed is they are real light in color and smell like pine lumber when last years was batch was dark smelled like nice natural hardwood. Needless to say this years batch doesn't burn as hot and it seems like the boiler eats through them faster.

bcb1 said:
It really sucks that Pennington - the ONE pellet that Walmart carries and is pretty much available nationwide - is one of the worst. I've burned them many times simply because it's convenient for me to pick up 10-15 bags at a time, versus getting a ton of Hamers Hot Ones or Greene Gold from one of the dealers in town.

It would be great if Walmart with their huge purchasing power could get with one of the super premium manufacturers - like Blazer pellets in Oregon -- and make a deal with them for nationwide distribution. It would get high quality, reliable pellets to people in all areas of the country, not just the Northeast and Northwest regions.

And you know what? This really showcases the opportunity for a business that could produce a hot, high-quality, super low ash pellet in enough quantity for nationwide distribution. I presume the reason that this hasn't happened yet is because none of the companies that make the super high quality pellets have the capacity to produce enough pellets to satisfy demand for a national chain like Walmart.

Penningtons are definitely hit or miss. Sometimes I can't resist buying 5 or 10 bags when they're on sale ($4/bag or less) at my local Wally World. I've bought batches of Penningtons that burn super clean and hot, while others are a bit ashy, crumbly (lots of fines), and I have to crank my Fahrenheit to its highest burn level just so I can pound through the bags quicker. I think Walmart has some sort of agreement going with Pennington to sell a few of their products exclusively, wood pellets being one of them. Pennington lawn seed is one of the best out there, so it was rather disappointing to read that their pellets were not being produced to the same high standards that other Pennington products seem to have.

Clay H said:
Lineman30 said:
I think I'll run down to lawton and get a few bags of rocky mountains to try so i will kniow if I want to buy them n bulk next year. Lawton is 70 miles and Tulsa is 120 so next year I can see what kind of deal they will both make me on a 2 ton purchase and then decide who will get my bidness. Sometimes I have gotten a 10% discount for buying a ton or 2.
Will be nice if Somerset contact me and is willing to talk to some retailers here more local to me.

Hey, let me know what you find out....

j-takeman said:
Threerun said:

In the mid 2k era, Walmart and Agway used to sell them in CT. Heck of a pellet! Now there are more mills over here and its cheaper on shipping. So we don't see that much western stuff these days.
At 2.50 or so a bag, I really like them, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.