Sooo thankful for my woodstove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jreed

Jan 13, 2010
MD
Living through Hurricane Sandy and no electric, I am so thankful that we heat our house with a wood stove. I live in a ranch house with a basement and my stove is in the basement. Ive been able to keep my upstairs at 69* and the basement at 75*+. Ive also been able to boil some water on the top.

We got over 2 feet of snow from this storm. I am using a Kodiak Stove from the 70's and it has done a great job for me. But, Ill be looking at replacing it with an Englander this summer. I just hope it works as well.

Living through Hurricane Sandy and no electric, I am so thankful that we heat our house with a wood stove. I live in a ranch house with a basement and my stove is in the basement. Ive been able to keep my upstairs at 69* and the basement at 75*+. Ive also been able to boil some water on the top.

We got over 2 feet of snow from this storm. I am using a Kodiak Stove from the 70's and it has done a great job for me. But, Ill be looking at replacing it with an Englander this summer. I just hope it works as well.
Yes, it's a great feeling to be able to take care of your family when the need arises. I'd never be without a wood stove. Imagine if a major ice storm left people without power for months, people with generators would be out of fuel after a while, but your wood supply would still be there, keeping you warm.. You can always melt snow or ice for water on the stove,,,,,, wood heat is a life saver;)

Haven't been home to light it up....Dang!

I know what you mean i am thankful for mine also.

Haven't been home to light it up....Dang!

No rest for the weary it seems. You must be exhausted. What news do you hear about Long Island?

I know that we've had that same feeling on more than one occasion, sure are glad we have heat when the power is out.

Just a guess but I take it your lucky enough to live in garrett county:mad: How I would love to be living up there right now.

Yes, I live in Garrett County. I usually feel lucky to live here but 80% of our county has no electric. Not so lucky there. Although, I see there are a lot of outages in Mineral County as well. My situation is a mere inconvenience but there has been a lot of death and destruction with this storm so I count my self among the lucky ones.

I did go the melting snow route as well. Not because I was out of water, just because the snow was there and it seemed like a good idea :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yes, I live in Garrett County. I usually feel lucky to live here but 80% of our county has no electric. Not so lucky there. Although, I see there are a lot of outages in Mineral County as well. My situation is a mere inconvenience but there has been a lot of death and destruction with this storm so I count my self among the lucky ones.

I did go the melting snow route as well. Not because I was out of water, just because the snow was there and it seemed like a good idea :)

Yeah our power was out in new creek from 9pm monday night until 11:30 tuesday morning, but not out in keyser but thats the way it ways works. It was thundering and lightning here monday night around midnight and it sounded like it was back toward garrett county so I figured they were getting thunder snow:) I was also glad to have the woodstove not only for heat, but also for light.

Yeah, we had thundersnow. I didnt really notice it until i was blowing the snow out of my driveway. My father in law heard the thunder but I did...I must have already fallen asleep at that point.

Ditto! No power in NJ for a week and the Ms. and I have been parked in front of our Osburn Matrix. Got it installed just in time, and if 70+ MPH winds didn't pull off the chimney cap I don't think anything will.

Burned 24/7 without power 7 days. Kept downstairs mid 70s and upstairs back rooms mid 60s. Wifey kept cooking great meals and coffee on stove. Kinda feel quilty posting bein that I really didn't have too much property damage. Scroungers dream out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.