Soooo new. Please don't hate me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klynn524

Jan 6, 2014
WV
Advanced apology for the book this turned into!!!

Wow. You folks know more about fires than I ever knew was even out there to know!!! And I always thought I was doing good to be able start a fire!

My name is Kim and my husband and I bought a house in Aug with what I now know is called a Black Bart fireplace. The label on it was so worn it took a while to figure that out!

When we moved in we immediately thought we would turn it gas as we thought our asthma kids could never tolerate a wood fire.

However, both these kids also have a rare allergy to cold temperatures and with this arctic weather we are now in, we thought we better figure out how to use it. We knew the old owners had the chimney cleaned so bought some wood (yea, I know...I said bought, makes ME sick!) and got a fire going.

We are pleasantly surprised with the lack of smoke in the house. Now we are thinking we need to really learn how to use it and maybe help reduce some heating costs.

So, I need a REALLY basic rundown of how this thing is supposed to work. I am CLUELESS. Seriously, talk down to me!!! But don't worry...I am a fast learner!!

We think we have figured out that the dial on the side is what temp the fire had to be for the blower to kick ON? Is that right? It seems low to me, only goes to 100. I also think I'm supposed to be able to close the doors, but every time I do, I put the fire out. I have the vents on the front open, should they be closed?

My biggest immediate concern is what to do tonight, our thought is to let it go out tonight and restart in the morning since we don't really know how to use it. But I can't find how to close the damper?

Bless anyone who decides to try to help us!!!

Advanced apology for the book this turned into!!!

Wow. You folks know more about fires than I ever knew was even out there to know!!! And I always thought I was doing good to be able start a fire!

My name is Kim and my husband and I bought a house in Aug with what I now know is called a Black Bart fireplace. The label on it was so worn it took a while to figure that out!

When we moved in we immediately thought we would turn it gas as we thought our asthma kids could never tolerate a wood fire.

However, both these kids also have a rare allergy to cold temperatures and with this arctic weather we are now in, we thought we better figure out how to use it. We knew the old owners had the chimney cleaned so bought some wood (yea, I know...I said bought, makes ME sick!) and got a fire going.

We are pleasantly surprised with the lack of smoke in the house. Now we are thinking we need to really learn how to use it and maybe help reduce some heating costs.

So, I need a REALLY basic rundown of how this thing is supposed to work. I am CLUELESS. Seriously, talk down to me!!! But don't worry...I am a fast learner!!

We think we have figured out that the dial on the side is what temp the fire had to be for the blower to kick ON? Is that right? It seems low to me, only goes to 100. I also think I'm supposed to be able to close the doors, but every time I do, I put the fire out. I have the vents on the front open, should they be closed?

My biggest immediate concern is what to do tonight, our thought is to let it go out tonight and restart in the morning since we don't really know how to use it. But I can't find how to close the damper?

Bless anyone who decides to try to help us!!!
Not sure where all those faces came from...sorry.

Welcome. Go lighter on the exclamation marks. Multiples turn into !!! There are many many threads here on this topic. Spend some time reading up for a while and you will find lots of good tips.

Reactions: Klynn524
Welcome. Go lighter on the exclamation marks. Multiples turn into !!! There are many many threads here on this topic. Spend some time reading up for a while and you will find lots of good tips.
Thanks for the faces tip! Never seen that in a forum before.

I've been reading on the forum for a while. I couldn't find anything for a real beginner, they were all talking over my head. I'll keep looking around in the mean time though. I started with one of your *stickied posts* , still wading through the many links ;)

Is it a Black Bart insert? It probably goes out because the wood isn't seasoned, Im not familiar with that Make, I don't think they make them any more.

Thanks for the faces tip! Never seen that in a forum before.

I've been reading on the forum for a while. I couldn't find anything for a real beginner, they were all talking over my head. I'll keep looking around in the mean time though. I started with one of your *stickied posts* , still wading through the many links ;)

Also, do not worry about the "real beginner "situation… There are plenty of "beginners "here on this site, and you will find the atmosphere helpful.

Also, use the search feature in the top right of the screen. There have been threads here before on the Blackbart insert… Not sure if they relate to the one you have or not.

Is it a Black Bart insert? It probably goes out because the wood isn't seasoned, Im not familiar with that Make, I don't think they make them any more.

This how bad I am, I'm not sure what insert means? You mean not freestanding? Yes, inserted into the brick chimney. If that's what that means. The wood was store bought, says seasoned and kiln dried.

Just for now-using the store-bought would may be the best way to learn to make that stove run… It eliminates any question of "how old is your wood ", or "how dry is Your wood ". In the long run, that will be expensive, but for now, it's a good start.

Thanks, my in laws have lots of acreage we can get wood from later, but yes, it's store bought for us til we know what we are doing with this thing!! I'm already amazed at the heat it is putting out without us even running it correctly. I'm excited to learn more about it.

FYI- an "insert" is a wood stove specifically designed to be slid into a fireplace opening. A freestanding wood stove just stuck into a fireplace is quite doable, but different.

IF your wood is truly kiln dried, the most likely explanation for your fire going out when the door is closed would be possibly a draft control or air intake not being open... I personally don't know how to run your specific stove, pictures of the stove itself and any controls would be extremely helpful to anyone who may be able to help. If you haven't already you NEED to have the chimney cleaned and inspected if you plan on using it regularly. Believe Me, you DON'T want a chimney fire.

Was the cleaning the old owners had done this summer not sufficient? I thought it would be, how often should it be cleaned? JUST realized I could do pics here as well, I'll add those. Thanks.

If you have documentation that the previous owners had it cleaned by a licensed sweep, you're probably ok. But if they just did it themselves or something, I wouldn't trust that as far as I can throw a cheesecake under water.

Oh no, my mom is a residential contracting project manager...we trust no one! Paper trails, must have paper trails.

Good evening,

You have a lot to learn about this stove and how it works in your house. Treat it like a research project because that is what it is. Every stove/fireplace works differently in every other house. Some are built without many compromises by experiences installers which work well in the house, and other stoves are installed with many compromises and are a pain to use. Yours does not smoke with the wood that you have at this time, which is a good thing. Someone installed it right. The next part of the equation is your operation of the stove. Like I said, it is a research project to find out what everything does and how it interacts with the wood that you have. Your technique can add a lot to the wood stove experience, and all of us improve our wood burning technique every year. One good primer, just like asking question on the forum is to get a good non profit list of tips and techniques for using your stove. A good place to spend a few days would be Woodheat.org. There is a lot of information there on things that can help you improve your technique and enjoyment of your new system. Please take a look around the site. Then ask questions about which technique work for others here. Then give them a try and see what works for you. That is the way to learn and grow with your stove in your house. It will be a good learning experience.

Here is a manual as well. Read it over - may explain some things about controlling the heat output and draft

Attachments

• tmp_1188_1-25-2013_104751_.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 418
  • tmp_1188_1-25-2013_104751_.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 242
THANK YOU guys! I had looked and looked for a manual online. That is definitely the stove we have, the insert. This answered several questions already! Awesome. I've been all over this forum this evening as well...soooo much to learn!

yeah, who knew burning wood was such an art form. I thought you just threw some wood in a furnace/stove, it burned, made heat and that was it. I definitely learned otherwise on here, bit more complicated that i thought it was.

yeah, who knew burning wood was such an art form. I thought you just threw some wood in a furnace/stove, it burned, made heat and that was it.

Unfortunately many, as in the majority, feel this way and never, ever get beyond it. You and all of us on here that are somewhat OCD about our solid fuel heat come here to learn, offer our findings and just banter back and fourth about perfecting the ritual. Welcome - we are glad to have you and encourage questions - we love having new reasons to talk about this stuff and new people that will listen :) As you get more comfortable with your insert and get through your personal learning curve you will find the value of wood heat and pleasure of having the stove/insert in your home.

FYI - if it has not already been mentioned there are things called BIO bricks or similar(many different brands) but can be had at the big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot or Tractor Supply most of the time. These are like perfect firewood and will burn as good as anything in your stove. May be worth trying so you know the fuel is not the issue while learning and before you can stock pile your own supply. FYI: I have never burned them but the research shows they typically burn HOT - don't stuff the stove to the gills the first time with these. Lots of posts and research done on them here so search how others have faired with them and check a box out??

Status
Not open for further replies.