sooooo i cut above my doorway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
Since there is a VERY noticable diff from the room that has the stove then the kitchen is next to it and next to that is the 5' hallway to the bedrooms

so i cut away the part above the doorway 11"x35" that made a HUGE diff. so now tonight after work i am going to do the dame thing to the doorway for the hallway

i am hoping that with it being open like that it wil let the heat move around with or without the floow fan thats on

this is what i am thinking of installing

http://www.floorregisterresources.com/proddetail.asp?prod=30x10-Return-Air-Grille-White i would rather have something that was more open looking like a "screen type"

and i might install this fan to help things along

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Round-AC-Axial-Fan-3VU71

trying to get things to be smooth befire the "real" cold weather sets in

No real ned for a grill, simpley square up your hole, box it out with some noce 1 x 5 material (or whatever fits your application and then install some wooden dowels or stair way pickets for looks. you could then just install a corner fan and remember to point it towards the stove vs trying to suck hot air from the stove, blow cold air at the stove.
340x_144925zz1.jpg

yea sixman im trying to find something thats much more quiet those things are loud

hey skin thats actually a good idea i am gonna see what i can think of

Whatever you put in for a grill will just slow airflow, so the less the better, as long as you can make it look good. Fan probably will help only a little, as the upper air wants to flow out anyway (fan might just be in the way). Much better is fan down low, blowing cool air into the room with the stove. Of course, having floor fan in doorway makes walking tough - haven't figured solution to that part yet!

i actually just saw a article on how somepople finish trimmed it and just left it open not bad looking

Yea having the fan on the floor in the doorway is a problem between that and my kitten its a big walking hazard lolol

I also saw somewhere that the fan cant big to big on cfm because it will actually move to much air ??

I was planing on doing the same thing and just use the ceiling fans in each room to circulate the air. All the hot air rises and is trapped in the 3 foot volume above the doorway to the other rooms (especially in rooms with high ceilings). With a transom window in place, the warm air would be allowed to flow between rooms.

My plan was to frame in a transom window above the doorways ov(pretty easy to make, no need to go buy an expensive one). The transom will be hinged so I can open it in the winter and close it during the summer months. That's how the houses used to be built.

well 2 more doorways are cut open and nope nothing structural so far im not going more then the door with at that point there are beams.

Gonna see how things feel tonight but so far it already feels better just having it opened up if this goes well then i have one more doorway to open up on the first floor.

At that point i have some Spackle and painting to do but its worth it

Pics, I like seeing other people home projects. Escpically stove related!

yup i will post pics once things are cleaned up a bit and all

Mroverkill said:
well 2 more doorways are cut open and nope nothing structural so far im not going more then the door with at that point there are beams.

Gonna see how things feel tonight but so far it already feels better just having it opened up if this goes well then i have one more doorway to open up on the first floor.

At that point i have some Spackle and painting to do but its worth it
gotta know how the floor joists run overhead?

why pyro all i REMOVED is some sheetrock thats it. i know not to start to cut joists or beams

why pyro all i REMOVED is some sheetrock thats it. i know not to start to cut joists or beams.

so the wife is home for 2 hours and just called me into the bedroom "hon what the hell happened to my wall on top of the door " me ="i donno must have been the kitten"

branchburner said:
Whatever you put in for a grill will just slow airflow, so the less the better, as long as you can make it look good. Fan probably will help only a little, as the upper air wants to flow out anyway (fan might just be in the way). Much better is fan down low, blowing cool air into the room with the stove. Of course, having floor fan in doorway makes walking tough - haven't figured solution to that part yet!

+1

Backwoods Savage said:
branchburner said:

+1

+2, just by opening the top of the doorway is going to be plenty to get the hot air moving into those rooms. Doorways act as dampers basically. By cutting a sizable opening, you have almost removed the damper. Very good idea BTW. If anything, as other have said, you may need a small fan to blow the cold air back toward the stove. This will depend a lot on the layout of your house.

mrfjsf said:
Backwoods Savage said:
branchburner said:

+1

+2, just by opening the top of the doorway is going to be plenty to get the hot air moving into those rooms. Doorways act as dampers basically. By cutting a sizable opening, you have almost removed the damper. Very good idea BTW. If anything, as other have said, you may need a small fan to blow the cold air back toward the stove. This will depend a lot on the layout of your house.

+3 . . . works for me without having to cut any holes in the wall above the doors.

Table fan, on floor, low speed, blowing the cooler hallway air - towards - the warm air in the stove room.

here is a stupid question how big of a fan a box fan how big is a "table fan" right now i have a box fan on low is that 2 big????

Mroverkill said:
here is a stupid question how big of a fan a box fan how big is a "table fan" right now i have a box fan on low is that 2 big????
the harder the blow, the more heat moved. If it fells cold from wind on floor, turn down the blow

Yes, our old box fan only had 2 speeds and would be overkill + a bit noisy. It lacks a low enough speed to be useful. The harder the blow the more noise and uncomfortable breeze if you are in the air path. We have a 12" table fan that is super quiet on low speed and still moves a decent amount of air at that speed.

BeGreen said:
Yes, our old box fan only had 2 speeds and would be overkill + a bit noisy. It lacks a low enough speed to be useful. The harder the blow the more noise and uncomfortable breeze if you are in the air path. We have a 12" table fan that is super quiet on low speed and still moves a decent amount of air at that speed.

+1 . . . we do the same . . . you don't need to move a lot of air fast . . . you just need to establish the air flow and you can do so easily enough with a small desk-top fan (one of those ones about a foot high with the low-medium and high settings) set to the low setting.

We have a similar floor plan as you, ranch style house with long hallway to bedrooms. Try one of those small tower fans from walmart. They are super quiet and in fact you will have to put your hand in front of it to even tell if it is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.