Soot Eater on a VC Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
Has anyone tried a Soot Eater on a Vigilant? How did it go? Did you just run it straight through the doors and up the flue or did you have to dismantle something in the back?

I'm ready to invest in one of these things if it's really as simple as everyone says.

No one's ever used a soot eater on a Vigilant??

I haven't used a soot eater, yet, but plan on buying one before next off-season's cleaning, but I would imagine running it through the double doors and out the flue collar would work. You could also disconnect the stove pipe from the stove and probably attach a bag to catch the debris.

Yes, I have used a sooteater with a vigilant.

I would disconnect the stove pipe and go through the thimble to access the chimney. I had great results with it, however, make certain you are inspecting for glazed creosote as the sooteater (and many other brushes) will not take that glop off. All in all, the sooteater performed really well!

I suppose you could also go through the double doors and up through the flue collar.

Nice little product those sooteaters.

Remkel, I've had the stove and pipe professionally cleaned recently. I'm hoping the Soot Eater will do the job for occasional touch ups.
If I can get it through the front doors- all the better. That means I'll use it more often.

I do not know what a Thimble is.

Kenster said:
Remkel, I've had the stove and pipe professionally cleaned recently. I'm hoping the Soot Eater will do the job for occasional touch ups.
If I can get it through the front doors- all the better. That means I'll use it more often.

I do not know what a Thimble is.

A thimble is the section where the pipe transitions into a wall.
878695928.jpg

If you're stove uses a chimney, a thimble is not used to transition from pipe to liner.

Okay, there's a flat box sort of thing where the flue passes straight up through the roof. The pipe is totally exposed from Stove to ceiling, pass through that 'box' then out to the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.