Soot eater problem with rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
After cleaning Saturday upon dismantling, I pushed in the pin and disconnected the rod...But the pin never popped back up after it was disconnected....Any ideas how to get the pin back up....Thanks!

I have a couple that do that, just give it a smack on the end and it should pop out.

argus66 said:
ya and try putting some wd40 or graphite on it as well.

I'll try that as well. The biggest PITA with the sooteater is separating those rods.

Gabe

Adios Pantalones said:
Are they really crazy flexible? Could I really do a bottom up from inside my insert?

I would not use it for 90 degree bends, but yes, you can use it for bottom up clean for an insert.

I bent one and held it with a bungee to show its flexibility. I wouldn't try a bend radius smaller than what you see in the pic. Rick

Attachments

• sooteater2.jpg
    sooteater2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 338
I don't go up on my tile roofs. I sweep both of my systems from the bottom up through the firebox with the baffles removed. Get it to the top and bump it around a bit in the cap, and bring it back down. No need to run the drill fast or rush any part of the job. Easy and steady. Rick

MofoG23 said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Are they really crazy flexible? Could I really do a bottom up from inside my insert?

I would not use it for 90 degree bends, but yes, you can use it for bottom up clean for an insert.

I was ready to get one until I read this....bummer.

muncybob said:
MofoG23 said:
Adios Pantalones said:

I was ready to get one until I read this....bummer.

If you look at the picture fossil posted, they will bend beyond 90 degree's, just not sure how well it would work. I've never used mine with that type of bend.

I would advise against running it at more than 90* (or even at 90* for that matter).
It will wreak havoc on the gears in your drill.
I don't pass mine through anything more than a 45* when all the rods are connected.
Just my opinion.

a guy i work with does it threw a 90 with sooteater he just does not use the drill just turns it by hand, i dont know if id recommend it but it can be done. and he and i both do bottom up cleaning. works great.

OK, my situation is I would need to feed the Sooteater thru the basement wall about 18" to the 90 degree upward turn and then a straight shot to the roof about 30+ ft. Is the Sooteater for me?

muncybob said:
OK, my situation is I would need to feed the Sooteater thru the basement wall about 18" to the 90 degree upward turn and then a straight shot to the roof about 30+ ft. Is the Sooteater for me?

I lent my soot eater to my brother who has the same setup as you. He said it worked great. He was skepitle so he hired a chimney sweep to come in after and the chimney sweep said his chimney was clean. He still charged him his usual fee, but didn't really do anything.

I didn't see him do it, so I don't know how easy or hard it was for him to do it, but the 2 soot eaters I bought (form the extra length) was cheaper than one chimney sweep.

Good to hear! Since 1 professional sweep will cost me $120 I figure why not! Perhaps I'll still have the chimney looked at every other year until I'm convinced I can go longer.

I have unitentionally bent my sooteater far more than 90 degrees and remarkably it went straight back into shape, i thought for sure it was going to break, but to my amazement it was just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.