Soot Eater Saved The Day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Our old farm house has a 4 inch gray water drain for our kitchen sink, dishwasher and washing machine. Goes out to a seepage pit. I noticed water on the basement floor, where the clean out cap threads on. Open it up full of water. So today I start digging and open the clean out on the tank, the tank is fine and so is the end of the pipe. People before us must have loaded up on the soap, looked like white clay when the pipe emptied out. 325 dollars to have a guy come with a water jet, yikes! I hate to admit it, but last night after thinking who might have a snake, my wife mentioned the Soot Eater. Well today I ran it through the pipe and it worked, couldn't believe it. Pipe goes out through the foundation wall , goes about 6 feet and then 90's. Soot Eater made the 90 no problem. So I kept the sink water running and cleaned it from both ends using all 22 ft on each end. No more clog. I quick fix if there's a next time.

Excellent adaptation of the tools available. Rick

Reactions: ScotO
I had a similar problem last year and would have tried the same thing but did not own a sooteater until just last week. Good thinking by the Mrs!

Good work! Nothing like using what ya got to save some cash! I've used mine to clean out the dryer vent. Just get some .95 weed eater line....cut to 4"...install on sooteater, and you now have the best dryer cleaning tool ever.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Great improvisation! Thanks for sharing that with the forum, that's what makes this place great!

Reactions: charly
Status
Not open for further replies.