soot on glass question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitter9

Oct 10, 2013
central jersey
good evening all. i was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is any connection between how clean the glass on the door stays, and the soot build up on the inside of my liner. my chimney is over 30 ft high so its hard to take a peek down.. I'm new to burning in an insert and im pleasantly surprised at how clean the glass stays . it only seems to to cloud over with a slight haze when i turn the air all the way down.(is that normal?)

thanks for the info. ive been burning my lopi insert almost non stop since it was installed a week ago. it costs a little more than a lot of the inserts i looked at, but no regrets, what a quality piece of equipment. it does everything they say it does, i.e clean glass, long burn times, ect. ect...(that doesn't always happen in this day and age.) the best part is its made in the USA!! im starting to sound like a commercial

Reactions: BIGDADDY
Heck my glass gets dirty fast because of the low long cat burn but my chimney stays pretty clean.
Clean once a year and get a few cup fulls.
With any stove though 24/7 burning keeps a cleaner flue if done right.
Start ups contribute to a fair amount of the black junk.

good evening all. i was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is any connection between how clean the glass on the door stays, and the soot build up on the inside of my liner. my chimney is over 30 ft high so its hard to take a peek down.. I'm new to burning in an insert and im pleasantly surprised at how clean the glass stays . it only seems to to cloud over with a slight haze when i turn the air all the way down.(is that normal?)

Clean door usually equals clean flue, unless ya let the splits sit against the door.

YMMV.

What is your wood supply?

so you have dirty glass and a clean chimney? do you think its possible to be the other way around, clean glass and a dirty chimney on a non cat stove? i just had my insert and liner installed a week ago and ive only burned quaility dry wood. i know i dont need it cleaned yet, but im wondering if there is any signs that it needs to be cleaned besides just looking down it.

thanks for the info. ive been burning my lopi insert almost non stop since it was installed a week ago. it costs a little more than a lot of the inserts i looked at, but no regrets, what a quality piece of equipment. it does everything they say it does, i.e clean glass, long burn times, ect. ect...(that doesn't always happen in this day and age.) the best part is its made in the USA!! im starting to sound like a commercial

Sold!

wood supply is mixed hard woods. all the pieces i checked were no higher than 18% on the mm checked on the resplit

Status
Not open for further replies.