Soot or creosote? Also insulate or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
We had a flex liner installed last year and put about a cord or maybe a bit more through it last winter. I just had it cleaned today and they told me it had about a 1/2 inch of soot built up but no creosote. I always thought they were the same thing but this guy said they are different, so what is the difference?

Also, our liner isn't insulated and is about twelve feet tall (outside section is about six feet), would insulation help soot build up in a system this short?

Soot is first stage creosote. At the second stage it gets gummy and at third stage it hardens into a glaze. Excess moisture allows the stages to progress.

Reactions: ScotO
12 feet is kinda short, but any insulating you can do would probably help the situation. What would help more would be to know what kind of fuel you are using, how long do you season the wood, etc. Those factors do a lot more in determining why you are getting soot.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
12 feet is kinda short, but any insulating you can do would probably help the situation. What would help more would be to know what kind of fuel you are using, how long do you season the wood, etc. Those factors do a lot more in determining why you are getting soot.

+1 sounds like the wood may have a lot to do with your soot problem.

Generally, white = fly ash. Brown = soot. Black = creosote.

Status
Not open for further replies.