Soot removers, logs what to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Which is the best soot remover? Which is the best log? Thanks everyone

Thanks, is the soot eater the only rod cleaner that goes up through the stove?

Thanks, is the soot eater the only rod cleaner that goes up through the stove?
no you can clean through the stove with any flexible rods. We use all types from inside the viper to basic threaded rods and a brush or our rotary rods and heads

Rods and a brush. Or a rotary cleaner like the soot eater. Logs are not cleaners and do not remove anything

Your 100% right IMO. I believe however that chimney sweep logs do help make a chimney sweep more effective and easier. I rifle a CSL through before I scrub. I start burning late September/October so I sweep before the first burn, another January 1st and another in mid March. After I had a chimney fire years a go I started doing tri monthly sweeps. I feel better. I have a long clay liner

Your 100% right IMO. I believe however that chimney sweep logs do help make a chimney sweep more effective and easier. I rifle a CSL through before I scrub. I start burning late September/October so I sweep before the first burn, another January 1st and another in mid March. After I had a chimney fire years a go I started doing tri monthly sweeps. I feel better. I have a long clay liner
It can help make a nasty chimney easier to clean yes but i try to get people to change their burning practices fuel or setup to fix the problem fist. The chemicals just cover up the real problem they are no a solution.

A cold exterior chimney can be prone to creosote buildup. Is there a possibility of installing an insulated stainless steel liner in the chimney to keep the flue gases hotter?

Reactions: bholler
It can help make a nasty chimney easier to clean yes but i try to get people to change their burning practices fuel or setup to fix the problem fist. The chemicals just cover up the real problem they
A cold exterior chimney can be prone to creosote buildup. Is there a possibility of installing an insulated stainless steel liner in the chimney to keep the flue gases hotter?

Not an insulated liner no. I could put a non insulated stainless liner in basically for protection in the event my clay cracked. Other than that it would be tearing down the mason chimney, refinish the brick exterior and rebuild with Selkirk. Would cost a pretty little penny. For now regular maintenance and observation will be my cheapest route. A stainless liner would be great insurance, local store only has corragated liner, I don't like the look of it. Just not sure if you could get smooth core stainless in one piece custom length?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is rare that there is a chimney that cannot be relined with an insulated liner. It may mean removing the existing clay liners to make room but it is done all the time. And you can also get heavy wall flex liner that is smooth interior and all one length. Or there is the light wall corrugated stuff thet works fine. I only use the heavy wall but many use light. Then you have rigid which if you chimney is pretty straight will work well also. but it does come in sections that get riveted together. In addition to those there are preinsulated options in rigid and flex available as well.

I have a dura tech class a all fuel chimney system. It runs through the house and roof. I have a 5 foot extension of pipe above the roof with a dura tech cap and spark arrestor. So far I am happy with it. I need to learn how to clean the system as this is my first year burning but 15 th year cutting wood.

I have a dura tech class a all fuel chimney system. It runs through the house and roof. I have a 5 foot extension of pipe above the roof with a dura tech cap and spark arrestor. So far I am happy with it. I need to learn how to clean the system as this is my first year burning but 15 th year cutting wood.
Sorry for the thread hijack. My comment was in response to dirk's setup. Sounds like you have a good setup. What stove is connected?

I gave a dura tech class a all fuel chimney system. It runs through the house and roof. I have a 5 foot extension of pipe above the roof with a dura tech cap and spark arrestor. So far I am happy with it. I need to learn how to clean the system as this is my first year burning but 15 th year cutting wood.
Yes with your setup as long as you have dry wood and run the stove right there should be no reason to need chemicals

Sorry for the thread hijack. My comment was in response to dirk's setup. Sounds like you have a good setup. What stove is connected?
It's not a problem. I am learning so much from this site and all the great people here who share their valuable knowledge. I just want to burn right you know? Learn as much as I can from those who have more experience. I have a hearthstone heritage 8022. It's what my wife wanted...so that's what we have. We really like it so far. Keeps a 2200 sq ft house at 65 to 73.

Nice looking stove. That setup may require removing the connector from the stove to clean. Or, if there is telescoping pipe connection, then lifting the pipe up a little to slip a bag around the pipe end for top down cleaning. Be careful not to hit the baffle board. it is fragile and will crack easily. Slipping a plank temporarily under the bag will prevent this.

Status
Not open for further replies.